89.3 KPCC Wins 19 Los Angeles Press Club and PRNDI Awards Including Radio Reporter of the Year
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 (Los Angeles) – 89.3 KPCC-FM has won 16 Southern California Journalism Awards from the Los Angeles Press Club and three national awards from the Public Radio News Directors Inc. (PRNDI), racking up First Place awards for Journalist of the Year, Breaking News, Business and Financial Coverage, Public Affairs, Investigative/Series, Feature, Sports, News/Public Affairs Program and Call-In Program.
For the third consecutive year KPCC swept Los Angeles Press Club’s Journalist of the Year category, with Frank Stoltze taking top honors, John Rabe garnering 2nd Place and Brian Watt earning Honorable Mention.
The station also swept the Best Public Affairs and Feature categories.
KPCC’s Newsroom won First Place in the Breaking News category for its coverage of last fall’s Metrolink train collision.
KPCC’s award winners:
- Frank Stoltze
L. A. Press Club’s Journalist of the Year
- 1st Place: Off-Ramp, News/Public Affairs Program
- 1st Place: AirTalk, Call-In Program
- 2nd Place: Susan Valot, Best Writing
- 1st Place: Shirley Jahad, Frank Stoltze and Kitty Felde, “Metrolink”
L.A. Press Club – Breaking News
- 1st Place: Brian Watt
- 2nd Place: Susan Valot
L.A. Press Club – Business and Financial Coverage, Broadcast
- 1st Place: Off-Ramp (John Rabe, Queena Kim, Frank Stoltze, Marc Haefele, Kitty Felde, Adolfo Lopez and Rico Gagliano) “Tom Bradley”
- 2nd Place: AirTalk (Larry Mantle, Linda Othenin-Girard, Jackie Oclaray, Chumi Paul and Roger Rudick) “Understanding Prop 8’s Passage”
- Honorable Mention: “Patt Morrison” (Patt Morrison, Aimee Machado, Janice Watje-Hurst, Jonathan Serviss and Roger Rudick) “RFK Tragedy Frozen in Time”
L.A. Press Club – Public Affairs
- 1st Place: Molly Peterson, Frank Stoltze, Patricia Nazario, Queena Kim, Adolfo Guzman-Lopez , “Ashes of Oakridge”
- 2nd Place: Susan Valot, Frank Stoltze, Patricia Nazario, “Mental Health”
L.A. Press Club – Investigative/Series
- 1st Place: Patricia Nazario, “Her Three Sons"
- 2nd Place: Frank Stoltze, “Prison Desegregation”
- Honorable Mention: Queena Kim, “California Dreaming”
L.A. Press Club – Feature
- 1st Place: Susan Valot, “Olympic Badminton”
L.A. Press Club – Sports
- 2nd Place: Frank Stolze, Political Coverage
L.A. Press Club – Political Coverage, Broadcast
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public radio network that operates 89.3 KPCC-FM in Los Angeles and Orange County, 89.1 KUOR-FM in the Inland Empire and 90.3 KPCV in the Coachella Valley. Reaching more than a 650,000 listeners every week, SCPR is the most listened to public radio news service of any kind in Southern California and serves the diverse communities of Southern California with award winning local news coverage as well as the most NPR (National Public Radio) content available anywhere in the region. SCPR’s flagship station, KPCC, has garnered over 200 journalistic honors including three Distinguished Radio Journalist awards (from the Greater LA Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists) and the 2008 top honor for Breaking News from the LA Press Club. SCPR also features signature public radio programs from American Public Media, the BBC and Public Radio International. Listeners around the globe can access news, join blogs, download podcasts, as well as hear a live web stream at www.scpr.org.
Media Contact: Betty St. Peter
E-mail: Online contact form...