The Madeleine Brand Show |

Hotel becomes "death ray" in the sun




Yeah, it is hot today in California. But at least not burning the hair off your head.

That's what happened to Bill Pintas, a guest at the Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas. Apparently a reflection from the elaborate building captures light and reflects back a glare on one spot near the out door pool. It's so intense it nearly fried Pintas while he was relaxing after a swim (from the Las Vegas Review-Journal):

"I was effectively being cooked," Pintas said. "I started running as fast as I could without looking like a lunatic."

Then he smelled an odor, and realized it was coming from his head, where a bit of hair had been scorched. It was about 12:20 p.m., as best Pintas can recall.

The heat ray apparently also melted a plastic bag near by. The hotel is looking for ways to dampen the hot spot effect. James Bond's enemies no doubt are looking for ways to recreate it.