"Liquidation sale" signs are going up Tuesday at eleven Albertsons supermarket locations in Southern California. The Boise, Idaho-based chain expects to close the following locations by February 20:
· Whittier: 13003 Whittier Blvd.
· Long Beach: 450 Long Beach Blvd.
· Huntington Beach: 9051 Atlantic Blvd.
· Canyon Country (Santa Clarita): 18571 Soledad Canyon Road
· Woodland Hills: 22890 Victory Blvd.
· Moorpark: 475 West Los Angeles Ave.
· Valencia: 26850 North The Old Road
· Monrovia: 725 E. Huntington Drive
· Ontario: 1000 N. Mountain Ave.
· Chula Vista: 2310 Proctor Valley Road
· San Diego: 4421 University Ave.
Albertsons Southern California Division spokeswoman Lilia Rodriguez told KPCC the closures are part of the company's on-going evaluation of its stores' performance.
"There are certain stores that are underperforming and not positioned for future profitability," Rodriguez said. "It’s difficult to make that decision but overall, it gives the company the opportunity to reinvest in its existing store base and to build a stronger division."
Rodriguez said the company's Human Resources team is working to help place employees at the closing stores at other locations. It's also notifying customers of the Sav-On pharmacies that operate inside some of the closing Albertsons about where they can get their prescriptions filled.
Once the eleven stores close, 181 Southern California locations will remain in operation, Rodriguez said. According to Supermarket News, Albertsons is closing a total of 26 stores across the country next month, including locations in Nevada, Arizona, Washington state, Oregon , and related stores in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.