Welcome to KPCC's business blog, The Breakdown. Every weekday, our team compiles a list of interesting business stories in the region.
- On Tuesday, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in American Broadcasting Companies v. Aereo. The service that streams local TV signals via the internet hasn't made it yet to Southern California, and broadcasters want to stop the start-up before it can. Aereo Found Chet Kanojia, tells the New York Times' David Carr: "This is the Sony Betamax of this century." KPCC's Air Talk has covered the debate.
- The biggest hauls in Hollywood. Top entertainment executives are getting richer, according to The Wrap's annual survey of executive compensation. Sumner Redstone took home a "jaw-dropping" $93.4 million dollars in 2013. The Wrap also looks at the disparity in compensation between the media and technology sectors.
- The Academy sticks with Oscars producers. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Monday that Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the same LA-based duo that produced the past two Oscars awards shows will produce next year's as well. (LA Times)
- Movie ticket prices fell almost 5% in first three months of 2013. The National Association of Theater Owners reports the average cost of a U.S. movie ticket dropped 4.7% from $8.35 to $7.96. (Variety)
- Eyes on San Berdoo. If San Bernardino wins its latest fight with Calpers, other cities could use bankruptcy law to withhold or delay payments to the pension system. The New York Times looks at the fight, and at San Bernardino, under the new mayor, Carey Davis.
- Lincoln Boulevard will be closed at Colorado Avenue in Santa Monica for a week starting Monday. Santa Monica officials worry about the impact on commercial truck traffic common on the thoroughfare. Bay Cities Italian Deli General Manager Hector Padilla tells the Santa Monica Daily Press that the deli considered closing for the week or reducing hours, but will tough it out. “I’m crossing my fingers,” he said. “People are still going to eat.”
Got business news? Tweet me @RadioBWatt