Classes begin for Los Angeles Unified students on August 13, but it's not too late to enroll your child in a magnet school.
That's because LAUSD has begun offering year-round enrollment at some of its magnet programs. Magnets are popular, because they're are often among the highest performing schools in the system.
Each magnet school focuses on a theme and teaches according to that theme. For example, at Westchester High School, students can attend the Health and Sports Medicine Magnet, the Environmental and Natural Sciences Magnet, or the Aviation and Aerospace Magnet.
School officials introduced the idea of continuing enrollment in March. Despite high demand during magnets' once-a-year application period, administrators were winding up with some empty seats during the school year.
Magnets were created as a voluntary way to diversify populations within a school. Students from outside the typical boundaries receive transportation to their schools. However, the transportation maps have been settled for 2013-2014, and no new stops will be added.
The district offers year-round enrollment at 13 magnets:
- Dr. Sammy Lee Elementary School (Medical and Health Science)
- Irving Middle School (Advanced Math, Music & Engineering)
- King Middle School (Film and Media)
- Sun Valley Middle School (Engineering Arts and Technology for Global Progress)
- Sun Valley Middle School (Environmental Studies Through Arts and Sciences)
- Sun Valley Middle School (Biomedical Sciences, Engineering and Leadership)
- Wright Middle School (Engineering and Design)
- Crenshaw High School (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Medicine)
- Crenshaw High School (Visual and Performing Arts)
- Crenshaw High School (Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology)
- Westchester High School (Health/Sports Medicine)
- Westchester High School (G/HG/HA/Aviation/Aerospace Science)
- Westchester High School (Environmental/Natural Science/Engineering)
Students who live inside the schools' attendance boundaries are be given preference, but remaining seats will be given to any eligible students. You can sign up online here.
And if there's another magnet you've got your eye on, mark your calendar: enrollment for the 2014-2015 school year at all 182 magnets will begin in October.