Members of United Teachers of Los Angeles protest rising class sizes last year.
The Los Angeles Unified school board is facing competing budget priorities for next year. At its meeting Tuesday, Superintendent John Deasy will make the case for his budget proposal, which has left labor leaders unsatisfied.
"What is conspicuously missing is any significant reduction in class sizes across the district," said United Teachers of Los Angeles spokeswoman Suzanne Spurgeon in a written statement. "And, this proposed budget does not include any proposed salary increases for employees who have not had a raise in 7 years."
But time is running out for the board to weigh the union's concerns. They have to approve a budget by the end of June.
Board member Steve Zimmer postponed a proposal to prioritize class size reduction by hiring back school staff who were laid off in recent years, and to give teachers a raise in the form of a 3.24 percent cost-of-living adjustment. Zimmer could not be reached for comment. His resolution has been postponed several times since it was first introduced in September.
Photo by Jonathan/Night Owl City via Flickr Creative Commons
Currently, teachers suspected of serious crimes go through the same hearing and appeal process as those accused of incompetency.
California Assemblywoman Joan Buchanan has introduced AB 215, a bill that would quicken the dismissal process for teachers accused of egregious misconduct - including sexual abuse, child abuse and some drug crimes.
Currently, teachers suspected of those crimes go through the same hearing and appeal process as those accused of incompetency.
During the Miramonte Elementary School sex abuse scandal several years ago, Los Angeles Unified School District officials said state dismissal regulations tied their hands, preventing them from taking quick action to suspend or fire accused teachers. The new bill proposes that egregious misconduct cases be handled separately from hearings that are held for teachers accused of incompetence.
AB 215 would speed up the appeals process in cases where teaching staff have been dismissed for sexual or physical abuse against students or colleagues. The bill proposes that one administrative law judge hear egregious misconduct cases, instead of a three-person panel. It also calls for litigants to have no access to the Superior Court for suspension appeals.
Serving 300,000 children, California spends approximately $2 billion each year on subsidized childcare and development programs.
California’s childcare and development system has “serious flaws” and is in need of “comprehensive restructuring,” according to a new report from the state’s Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO.) Examining the complicated public subsidy which provides low-income families with assistance for early childcare, the report lays out a road map for the state legislature to move towards a “simplified and rational system.”
Serving 300,000 children, California spends approximately $2 billion each year on subsidized childcare and development programs, according to the LAO. 60 percent of this funding comes from the state and the remaining 40 percent from federal monies. The report does not consider Head Start programs as that is a separate federal program.
In evaluating California’s system, the LAO compared it to childcare systems in other states. California, the report finds, has one of the highest income thresholds of all states for families to qualify for subsidized care, based on the federal poverty level (FPL). Whereas the majority of states require an income at or below 200 percent of the FPL to qualify, California requires 228 percent of the FPL.
Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent John Deasy on Friday proposed spending nearly half of the district's new targeted state money on special education next year - but that's not an increase in the program, rather a recalibrating of where the funds are coming from.
The proposal is part of his recommendations for the district's $6.8 billion budget, a $332 million increase over the current year's budget. It must be approved by the school board, which will begin budget discussions Tuesday.
New state law allocated $837 million to L.A. Unified next year towards the education of students who fall into at least one of California's new categories of need: low income, English language learners and foster youth. That's about 80 percent of L.A. Unified's students.
Over half of the targeted funds - what the law calls supplemental and concentration funding - would go to special education - but that $450 million is not an increase in district's special education budget from this year.