Still haven’t made plans for Earth Day tomorrow? Get to know the green options in Los Angeles while taking advantage of money-saving deals with our Earth Day guide to Los Angeles:
1. First, pick up a free reusable bag if you don’t have one yet at the Nature Conservancy booth, which will pop up next to the main Clock Tower at the Original Farmers Market starting at 11 am. The bag will get you Earth Day specials at participating vendors throughout the market.
2. Then get $1 off your take-our order at M Cafe by reusing that reusable bag — and enjoy a free cup of organic coffee too for remembering your reusable mug — all day on Earth Day.
3. Or enjoy a free sustainable seafood lunch from the Border Grill Truck, which will be at the California Science Center from 11:30 am to 2 pm on Earth Day. Just say the secret password: @AlaskaSeafood.
4. More of a cook-at-home environmentalist? Make eating local easier and download the Locavore phone app free. Though usually $2.99, the iPhone and Android app — which keeps track of what fruits and veggies are in season and what farmers’ markets are near you — will be free on Earth Day.
5. Eco-fashionistas can put shopping dollars to a good cause at L.A.-based green fashion company Stewart+Brown‘s Earth Day event. Between now and Sat., April 30, Stewart+Brown will donate 20 percent of all full-price purchases at StewartBrown.com toRiverkeeper to help protect watersheds.
6. Need an afternoon pick me up? Get a free cup of coffee or tea at Starbucks by taking your own reusable mug. No promises as of yet on whether either drink will be organic or fair trade certified.
7. In the evening, watch a free outdoor screening of “Avatar” at the 4th Annual Wilshire Center Earth Day/Car Free Day event, which will also feature e-waste recycling, tree adoptions, face painting, performances, eco-friendly booths, and more. It all starts at 6 pm at 3700 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles.
8. Enter for a chance to win a free organic meal for two or organic wine at Pizza Fusion Hollywood. Simply stop by the restaurant to write down an Earth Month pledge, which will enter you into a drawing for 3 giveaways.
9. Then for dessert, eat a cupcake to plant a tree. For $3.25, you can get a special Earth Day cupcake at Magnolia Bakery. Pick from a vanilla or chocolate bottom with buttercream frosting in Earth or peace signs (sorry, not organic). Each cupcake sold will send $1 to the Plant a Billion Trees organization, an initiative of The Nature Conservancy to restore Brazil’s Atlantic Forest.
10. Make it a 2-day celebration by volunteering to create a new community garden in Watts as part of LA Works Earth Day of Service. For your good work, you’ll be rewarded with free breakfast, coffee, and an organic event T-shirt from bgreen. That event happens Sat., April 23, from 8:30 am to 1 pm at 670 E. 120th St, Los Angeles.