Photo by Leslie Berestein Rojas/KPCC
The Velez Ice Cream truck, February 28, 2011
This morning I went in search of what I'd hoped might be a remaining version of British guerilla street artist Banksy's stencil nicknamed "Caution," a parody of the famous migrant family freeway sign that for years was a fixture of the drive between Los Angeles and San Diego on Interstate 5. But no luck. Like the better-known stencil at First and Soto streets, the image that was briefly captured on the bridge at Cesar Chavez Boulevard and Pleasant Avenue - and which may or may not have been Banksy's - is also gone.
Banksy art began popping up throughout L.A. in the days leading up to yesterday's Academy Awards ceremony as the elusive artist, a best-documentary nominee for his film "Exit Through the Gift Shop," made the rounds of the town. The "Caution" stencil portrayed the familiar running migrant family, only flying a kite instead of making a harrowing sprint across the freeway.
Source: impreMedia and Latino Decisions
Will the failure of the Dream Act in Congress last December matter to voters in the 2012 election? The polling firm Latino Decisions has published the results of a tracking poll, conducted with the publishing company impreMedia, whose findings indicate that it well could.
From the report released today:
We broke out support for the DREAM Act by intended vote choice in 2012 and found regardless of how Latinos will vote, a very strong majority support the DREAM Act. Among Obama voters, 79% strongly support and 14% somewhat support the DREAM Act – that’s 93% support for seeing this bill passed among the President’s Latino base. Further, among those who say they are undecided 62% strongly support DREAM with 23% somewhat support, all told 85% in favor.
Even among those who plan to vote for a GOP candidate in 2012, Republican contenders should take note, that Republican leaning Latinos also supported the DREAM Act by a big margin: 52% strongly support and 23% somewhat support, totaling to 75% approval of the bill.
Raucous week for Arizona immigration law hearing - Arizona Capitol Times Six people have been arrested at the state Senate, and at least two blocked from returning, after state senators gave the green light to stringent anti-illegal immigration legislation last week. Senate President Russell Pearce says he has authority over who can and cannot enter the building.
Canada near top in integrating immigrants, survey says - The Globe and Mail A survey places Canada close to the top in terms of integrating its immigrants, placing third behind Sweden and Portugal.
New Migrants Flock to Italy, Intensifying Immigration Debate - New America Media There's also a raging immigration debate going on in Italy, with thousands of Tunisians and other North Africans fleeing to the southern islands of Sicily and Lampedusa as a result of political upheaval.
Photo by Adarsh Upadhyay/Flickr (Creative Commons)
Academy Awards statuette replicas at a Universal Studios gift shop in Singapore, December 2010
It's true. Please join KPCC's OnCentral blog editor Kim Bui and me Sunday night as we reveal and celebrate Oscar's immigrant past and present. We'll throw out some trivia (which best actor nominee once had to pay a bribe while visiting a relative in Poland?).
We'll also be keeping score to see how many Oscar points go to the players who have relatively recent immigrant roots - and who these players are. It may well be what many have called "the whitest Oscars" in a decade, but will the nominees who are children and grandchildren of immigrants represent?
Join us and find out. We'll be going live at 5 p.m. Sign up below for an e-mail reminder.
UPDATE: And here's the point system we'll be using for anyone who wants to keep a tally. It's not scientific - hey, we're all descended from immigrants - but it shows us that even this year, there's more diversity to the Oscars than meets the eye.