Pablo Martinez Monsivais-Pool/Getty Images
President Obama delivers his State of the Union tonight; what else is on TV tonight?
The State of the Union will be delivered tonight at 9 Eastern, 6 Pacific by President Barack Obama. As a political nerd, I'll be following along (and livetweeting the speech at @WithoutABlog), but for those of you who aren't particularly interested in an hour long speech, here are some alternatives.
I'm looking out for both those of us here on the West Coast and those of you on the East Coast, below:
- FX, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Reruns of my favorite sitcom "How I Met Your Mother." Then there's "Two And A Half Men" at 7, during which you should immediately turn away.
- E, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.: "Kourtney and Kim Take New York." (I don't know anything about the Kardashians other than that people hate them but want to watch them as much as possible on TV anyway.)
- Cartoon Network, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.: Reruns of "Adventure Time." Check out the cult hit surreal animated series and see if it fits your sense of humor or if people who like the show are crazy.
- Discovery Channel, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Reruns of "Dirty Jobs." (I may just be mentioning this because host Mike Rowe shares my name, except he spells it wrong, obviously.)
- Spike TV, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.: "Kill Bil: Vol. 2." Go watch pretty/violent Quentin Tarantino pictures and be amused by how it's been edited for cable.
- Comedy Central, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.: If you want to see what's been going on in politics, but just want it to be funnier (intentionally), you can catch up on last night's "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report"...
- Comedy Central, 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.: ... then watch "30 Rock" reruns to clear your mind of politics until tomorrow's "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report," which is when they'll probably get around to talking about the State of the Union.
- TNT, 7 p.m.-10 p.m.: "The Shawshank Redemption." You can see this movie on cable pretty frequently, but that doesn't mean it's not still awesome. (I also enjoyed comparing the way prison life was depicted here to the depiction of Alcatraz in the flashback scenes on Fox's "Alcatraz.")
- FX, 8 p.m.-10 p.m.: "Taken." Get intense with Liam Neeson...
- FX, 10 p.m.-11 p.m.: ... then follow that up with a new episode of one of the best dramas on TV right now, "Justified."
- Discovery, 9 p.m.-10 p.m.: Brand new episode of "Dirty Jobs." (I will take you down, guy-with-my-name-who-spells-it-wrong Mike Rowe.)
- A&E, 9 p.m.-10 p.m.: Brand new episodes of "Shipping Wars"...
- A&E, 10 p.m.-11 p.m.: followed by new episodes of "Storage Wars." So, you know, there's a lot of warring tonight.
- Food Network, 10 p.m.-11 p.m.: New episode of "Chopped," so if you want to get really hungry at 10 p.m., check it out!
- TNT, 10 p.m.-11 p.m.: New "Southland." (I'm interested in this show, but that may just be because I was a big fan of "The O.C.")
- USA, 10 p.m.-11 p.m.: New "White Collar."