Jerry Maren as a Lollipop Guild Member presents Judy Garland with a gift in the 1939 film, 'The Wizard of Oz.'
Abandon sofa and grab some grass -- the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is bringing surround sound and a 40-foot screen to the great outdoors with a new open-air theater in Hollywood.
The "Oscars Outdoors" film series / screening space was unveiled Monday by Academy president Tom Sherak who said he wanted to build a drive-in theater at the location, but "this is the closest we could get."
The first feature to be featured is "Casablanca" on June 15. Films will screen every Friday and Saturday night through Aug. 18.
Admission is free for kids under 10-years-old. General admission is $5, and admission for students and Academy members is $3. All screenings are scheduled to begin at sunset. Tickets for June films go on sale 6/1/12.
Check the official site for schedule updates:
- Friday, June 15 - CASABLANCA (1942)
- Saturday, June 16 - SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)
- Friday, June 22 - RAISING ARIZONA (1987)
- Saturday, June 23 - FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986)
- Friday, June 29 - A STAR IS BORN (1937)
- Saturday, June 30 - THE GOONIES (1985)
- Friday, July 6 - SHANE (1953)
- Saturday, July 7 - THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (1996)
- Friday, July 13 - TBA
- Saturday, July 14 - THE PRINCESS BRIDE (1987)
- Friday, July 20 - PILLOW TALK (1959)
- Saturday, July 21 - THE KARATE KID (1984)
- Friday, July 27 - DREAMGIRLS (2006)
- Saturday, July 28 - THE DARK CRYSTAL (1982)
- Friday, August 3 - NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)
- Saturday, August 4 - STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928)
- Friday, August 10 - YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974)
- Saturday, August 11 - BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)
- Friday, August 17 - AUDIENCE CHOICE!
- Saturday, August 18 - THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) SING-ALONG
Lisa Brenner can be reached via Twitter @lisa_brenner