Rick Diamond/Getty Images
Oprah Winfrey attends the Spelman College Commencement at Georgia International Convention Center on May 20, 2012 in College Park, Ga.
Oprah Winfrey was announced Monday as this year’s Harvard commencement speaker.
Oprah’s no newcomer to graduation speeches; she delivered a commencement speech here in California at Stanford back in 2008.
If you’re looking for a sneak peek at some of the ideas that might make their way into that Harvard speech, you can watch the full video of that address below:
You can also see just the highlights here:
Some of the advice Oprah offered that Stanford class:
- "Lesson one: Follow your feelings. If it feels right, move forward. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it."
- "Now I want to talk a little bit about failings, because nobody's journey is seamless or smooth. We all stumble, we all have setbacks. If things go wrong, you hit a dead end — as you will — it's just life's way of saying, 'time to change course.'"
- "If you're hurting, you need to help somebody else ease their hurt."
- "I know this for sure: That doing good actually makes you better."
- "Whatever field you choose, if you operate from the paradigm of service, I know your life will have more value, and you will be happy."
“She has used her extraordinary influence and reach as a force for good in the world," Harvard President Drew Faust said in a news release. “Oprah Winfrey is an inspiration to people around the world who care about opening minds and serving the common good,” Carl F. Muller, president of the Harvard Alumni Association, said in the same release.
Oprah has spoken at a variety of colleges, including several women’s and historically black schools. Here are some of her other commencement speeches:
- Spelman College
- The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls
- Oprah's commencement address to Howard University
- Oprah's commencement address to Duke University
- Read Oprah's address to Wellesley College
- Read excerpts from Oprah's address to the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University