Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark in "Iron Man 3."
"Iron Man 3" is coming to the nation's second-largest movie theater chain after all — AMC Entertainment settled a dispute with Walt Disney Studios that threatened next week's Iron Man launch.
AMC and Disney settled their dispute Thursday, leading the theater to reopen sale on Fandango for both “Iron Man 3” showings and the Iron Man Marathon featuring all three Iron Man movies, plus the Avengers movie.
“We thank our partners at Disney for working with us to achieve economical terms, so we can present our guests one of the biggest blockbusters of 2013 and solidly kick off the summer movie season," AMC said in a release.
Disney owns Marvel Studios, which puts out many of the superhero movies based on Marvel Comics characters. The Los Angeles Times reports that Disney wanted 65 percent of ticket sales, while studios normally only take around 50 percent.
Here in Los Angeles, Disney is giving AMC its own crosstown competition — they own the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, which is also screening "Iron Man 3" and the Iron Man Marathon, even including special guests like Stan Lee.
This isn’t the first time superhero action has set movie studios and theaters at odds — Warner Brothers demanded 65 percent back in 1992 for “Batman Returns,” according to Forbes.
AMC’s Gerry Lopez told the L.A. Times last week that Disney had put the theater chain “in a very, very uncomfortable situation.” AMC previously fought Disney in 2010, threatening not to show “Alice In Wonderland” due to the studio’s plans to release the DVD shortly after its theatrical release.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Disney is still in negotiations with Regal Cinemas, which isn’t selling tickets yet for “Iron Man 3.” Disney apparently felt justified to demand the increased share following the success of the Marvel movies and the upcoming relaunch of the “Star Wars” franchise, according to the Journal.
This also isn’t the first time the “Star Wars” franchise has been used to get more money from ticket sales — 20th Century Fox got a 90 percent cut for opening weekend at some theaters for the first two “Star Wars” prequels, according to Forbes.
It remained unclear at press time where negotiations stood with Cinemark, which has also not been selling advance tickets for “Iron Man 3.”
Disney and AMC executives have declined further comment.
Watch the trailer for "Iron Man 3" below:
This story has been updated.