In this Jan. 12, 2012 file photo, Bob Dylan performs during the 17th Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards in Los Angeles.
The Santa Anas blew its devil winds at L.A. Friday night, days before Halloween, as a froggy-voiced man dressed in black sat at the keyboards and sang old songs that sounded like Bob Dylan classics.
One even reminded some of an Adele hit.
Of course it was Bob Dylan up to his old tricks of re-arranging his precious gems and squawking them out in new ways in front of an eager and accepting crowd.
That freewheelin' attitude helps the 71-year-old continue to break the rules, as he did in the Hollywood Hills last night.
The voice of a generation didn't address the audience except to introduce his band (which starred Charlie Sexton on guitar). Dylan didn't say goodbye after his sole encore tune ("Blowin in the Wind"). And he only let the Bowl use one video camera, a wide shot, to display on the numerous screens.
- A funny but completely unfair two-minute version of President Obama's State of the Union address from last night:
(via the Huffington Post)
- Republicans responded to the speech by pointing out that President Obama has asked for many of the same things and made the same points in previous State of the Union addresses. Not sure if it's a fair criticism or not, but if you feel like you've heard the same speech before, it might be because you have:
(via Indecision Forever)
- Obama's also planning on coming back to L.A. soon to raise money. Lots of money. The "Platinum Package" will run you a cool $71,600 donation. Let's see, how much will the charcoal package cost me?
- The Hollywood Bowl's schedule is out; what catches your eye? Some personal highlights: "The Producers" musical, the Grease and Sound of Music sing-a-longs, and, of course, John Williams. (via L.A. I'm Yours)
- Comedienne Abbey Londer is trying to bring an alt comedy festival to L.A., and the Riot L.A. festival already has some pretty big endorsements lined up, like Patton Oswalt, Megan Mullally, Marc Maron and many more.
- What would it be like if the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills made it to Season 99?
- A brand new Popeye cartoon/Wilco music video. Yup. I'm not sure if this is super indie or a complete sellout since they got the cooperation of the Popeye comic strip syndicators and also included Wilco in the newspaper strip this week, but whatever it is, I like it:
(via Robot 6)
- Superhero-themed cologne? Thor cologne "Worthy" and Hulk cologne "Smash"? Me want. (I may have worn "American Idol" cologne before. No, I don't know what that horrible smell is.)
- New iPhone game "Frederic - Resurrection of Music" features composer Frederic Chopin doing battle with representatives of other musical genres. Like Guitar Hero for classical fans.
- Pretty sure they're speaking directly to me (and a lot of other Angelenos) in this video about why you probably shouldn't text while walking.