When two 12-year-old girls allegedly stabbed a friend nearly to death last week in suburban Waukesha, Wisc., the crime seemed baffling — until the girls reportedly told authorities why: They said they were trying to please the Slender Man.
Who is the Slender Man?
Authorities — and the media, which have been tracking this story since it broke — soon found out, peeling back the layers of an Internet meme/urban legend and casting public attention on a story and character previously known only to a cultish following of horror fans.
On Saturday, May 31, the two girls allegedly attacked their 12-year-old female friend, stabbing her 19 times. One of the girls told a detective they wanted to become Slender Man's proxies, the Associated Press reports, and run away from home to live with Slender Man in his mansion in the Nicolet National Forest.
Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
File: Executive Producer J.J. Abrams speaks onstage at the "Revolution" panel session during the NBCUniversal portion of the 2013 Winter TCA Tour- Day 3 at the Langham Hotel on Jan. 6, 2013 in Pasadena.
J.J. Abrams, the director of next year’s “Star Wars” sequel/reboot/update, is so famously secretive about his film work you'd almost think he’d be happy to never show his movies to audiences, lest they finally talk about what actually happens in them. The habit — developed on projects from his "Alias" TV shows to "Cloverfield" right up to his most recent film, "Star Trek Into Darkness" — even has a nickname: The Mystery Box (watch Abrams' TED talk on the concept below).
All of which makes Abrams' entreaty Wednesday about leaked photos from the set of his upcoming Jedi movie — assuming there will still be Jedis in “Star Wars: Episode VII” — all the more fascinating.
Over the last few days, several websites, but most prominently the Hollywood gossip blog TMZ — best known these days for leaking the Donald Sterling tape that cost the Clippers owner his NBA team — have been posting purloined images from the Tunisian set of the new "Star Wars" film.
Ant-Man seen in an image tweeted by Marvel.
Edgar Wright, fan-favorite director of movies like "Shaun of the Dead" and "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," has dropped out of directing Marvel superhero movie "Ant-Man."
This comes after Wright started developing the project in 2006, with the official announcement by Marvel of Wright directing coming in 2012.
Wright and Marvel released a joint statement:
"Marvel and Edgar Wright jointly announced today that the studio and director have parted ways on Marvel's 'Ant-Man' due to differences in their vision of the film. The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly."
Paul Rudd's already been announced as the star, playing the miniaturized hero. It seemed like a match made in Heaven, with Wright having a geek comic sensibility that would pair well with Rudd, but now it's not to be.
Cindy Ord/Getty Images
Pete Holmes and Matt McCarthy perform during CollegeHumor Offline Annual Production at Gramercy Theatre on Aug. 8, 2013 in New York City.
TBS has canceled the Los Angeles-based late night cable talk show "The Pete Holmes Show" after two seasons. The Conan O'Brien-produced show is set to end in June, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
The show featuring comedian Pete Holmes followed "Conan" at midnight, but failed to pick up Conan's audience.
"We recognize Pete as one of the most relevant comedians working today," TBS said in a statement, the Hollywood Reporter reports. "We loved the show and gave it two chances. We just couldn't draw the audience needed to justify a third round. We hope we'll get to work with him again."
The show's biggest impact came through its sketch comedy, often deconstructing pop culture, particularly superheroes and video games. The show featured many pre-produced video sketches, several of which became viral hits — with far more views than the show usually scored viewers on television. Here are some of the best. (Warning: Some of these videos contain adult language and themes.)
Two American Jews enjoy a party in Jerusalem at the end of a weeklong romantic voyage to Israel Wednesday, May 10, 2006. The trip organized by the Jewish online dating service JDate.
Jewish dating service JDate is running brand new billboards targeted at millennials in Times Square and right here in Los Angeles, Adweek reports, with copy drawn from a social media contest. One of those three is from L.A.
L.A. comedy writer Ricky Sans's submission didn't make the first round of billboards, but his #GetChosen slogan is set to show up in JDate marketing soon, Sans says. His submission was "Matzah Ball Recipes Don’t Survive on Their Own"; the other winners were "Find Mr. Right to Left" and "Because Dating Shouldn't Be as Hard As Parting the Red Sea."
"I love JDate," Sans tells KPCC. "I'm Jewish, and I think it's great to have a dating forum where you can meet people from similar cultural and traditional upbringings."
Sans explained what he was thinking with his submission.