Southern California breaking news and trends

LA Dodgers sale approved by bankruptcy court

Los Angeles Dodgers v San Diego Padres

Denis Poroy/Getty Images

Magic Johnson (L) sits with Frank McCourt during the game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres in the home opener at Petco Park on April 5, 2012 in San Diego.

A bankruptcy court judge in Delaware has approved the Los Angeles Dodgers' plan to sell the team for $2 billion, setting the team up to exit bankruptcy.

While the approval had been expected, Friday's decision by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Gross came at the conclusion of a two-part morning and evening hearing he called a "doubleheader."

Lawyers for the Dodgers and Major League Baseball sparred over the information being given to the league about the plan. A lawyer for Major League Baseball said the league has issues with the plan and is owed more information. A Dodgers lawyer said the team has met all the criteria to have the plan confirmed.

The judge approved Dodgers owner Frank McCourt's plan to sell the team to Guggenheim Baseball Management, a group that includes former Los Angeles Lakers star Magic Johnson. Mark Walter, chief executive officer of the financial services firm Guggenheim Partners, would become the controlling owner, and the team would be run by former Atlanta Braves president Stan Kasten.

This story has been updated.

blog comments powered by Disqus