Photo via NBC LA
Rescuers attempted to retrieve a worker trapped in an 8-foot-deep trench on North Benedict Canyon Drive.
A rescue effort for a male worker fully buried beneath three or more feet of dirt in an estimated eight-foot-deep trench at 1265 N Benedict Canyon has been reclassified as a recovery operation, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
75 LAFD personnel have been assigned, says department spokesperson Brian Humphrey via Twitter.
Firefighters receive highly specialized training for these types of operations, Humphrey told KPCC. The work of the LAFD's Urban Search and Rescue responders is "among the most physically and emotionally difficult," he said.
In handling the delicate operation, the goal now is to "recover remains with dignity and respect" and determine how the situation occurred, says Humphrey, who noted that CalOSHA had been notified and the "coroner will be notified once remains are recovered."
Officials have determined the location of the incident, which occurred around 3:40 p.m. on Thursday, to be within Beverly Hills city limits.
This story has been updated.
Lisa Brenner can be reached via Twitter @lisa_brenner