The Latest

Southern California breaking news and trends

Film permit for Coliseum porn failed to identify nature of shoot

Filmmakers had a permit when they shot a pornographic film at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum back in 2001. It is unclear who at the Coliseum may have helped to arrange the overnight shoot.
Filmmakers had a permit when they shot a pornographic film at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum back in 2001. It is unclear who at the Coliseum may have helped to arrange the overnight shoot. AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes

The pornographic film that was shot in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum more than a decade ago was permitted, according to a document obtained by KPCC from FilmLA, though nowhere in the permit does it reference sexual activity.

A permit was issued to Anabolic Video Productions Sept. 14, 2001 for filming at 3911 S. Figueroa St. – home to the Coliseum.

Asked for a summary of the scene that was to be filmed the night of  Sept. 15, 2001, the permit reads: “Interior establishing shots w/models against scenery. Re-enactment of football players in practice game.” At the time, the film was titled "Guns Brandished 33."

The Los Angeles Times reported yesterday that that film later became the 2002 pornographic film “The Gangbang Girl #32,” featuring a cheerleader and a group of male football players. Nowhere in the permit does it indicate the sexual nature of the film shoot.

Filmmakers have a responsibility to identify that a film will be pornography, according to a spokesman for FilmLA. Typically film permits for adult shoots will include the language: “interior and exterior nudity or sexual activity must not be visible or audible by the public.”

The permit notes that the stadium, which is home to the USC Trojans, was closed to the public during filming. Subsequent scenes were filmed in Montecito Heights and at a tire store near La Cienega and Venice boulevards.

Aside from the actual permit, documentation related to shoots is purged seven years after the permit is issued, according to FilmLA. 

An attorney representing the Coliseum Commission said commissioners were not aware of the shoot back in 2001. 

“The alleged filming appears to have occurred over a decade ago. The use of a public facility for such filming is entirely inappropriate. The Commission has no record of the filming and the Commission did not authorize it,” said Thomas Faughnan. “As with regards to all recent allegations of potential misconduct associated with the Coliseum and Sports Arena, the commission has been and is cooperating fully with the appropriate authorities.”

The state, county and city jointly operate the Coliseum. The stadium’s former general manager Pat Lynch pleaded guilty earlier this year to a conflict of interest charge. He was directed to pay $385,000 in restitution. An attorney for Lynch told the Times his client was not involved in arranging the film shoot.

Former events manager Todd DeStefano has pleaded not guilty to allegations of bribery, embezzlement and conflict of interest. DeStefano’s duties included arranging commercial and film shoots at the Coliseum. His attorney did not immediately respond to an after-hours call for comment on the film permit.

Coliseum Film Permit

blog comments powered by Disqus

Enjoy reading The Latest? You might like KPCC’s other blogs.

What's popular now on KPCC