Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Wednesday, June 6, and here is what's happening in Los Angeles:
Voters appeared to reject a new tobacco tax, though the vote was still too close to call this morning, reports KPCC. There was also a major upset in the race for district attorney, with Chief Deputy D.A. Jackie Lacey leading the crowded field. Deputy District Attorney Alan Jackson appeared to be headed for the runoff, finishing 1 percentage point ahead of City Attorney Carmen Trutanich.
Three Los Angeles County supervisors easily won reelection last night, reports the Daily News.
The Los Angeles Times looks at Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's longtime support of same-sex marriage.
Where to Find the Politicians
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will be at Staples Center at 3 p.m. to encourage Kings fans to celebrate in a responsible way after tonight's game.
City Controller Wendy Greuel will release an audit on women-owned and minority-owned businesses at 10 a.m. outside of City Hall East.
9:30 a.m. Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, Hall of Administration, board room
- Motion to ban campaign contributions from tax agents to the assessor
- Recommendation to rescind support of internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II
10 a.m. Los Angeles City Council, City Hall, Council Chamber
- Recommendation to ban camping in city parks
- Recommendation to delay implementation of the Safer Sex in the Adult Film Industry ordinance
1:30 p.m. Board of Airport Commissioners, LAX, board room
- Recommendation to approve concessions agreement for LAX's Terminals 1, 3 and 6
2 p.m. Energy and Environment Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Recommendation to issue $322 million in water revenue bonds
Tweet of the Day goes to L.A. City Councilman Eric Garcetti for talkin' smack.
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.