Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day. q
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Tuesday, June 19, and here is what's happening in Los Angeles:
The man appointed to help the Los Angeles Fire Department straighten out response times is leaving after three months on the job, reports the Los Angeles Times. Jeffrey Godown, who will stay on as a consultant, is leaving to take a job at UC San Francisco.
CurbedLA previews the Los Angeles City Council's hearing on the Hollywood Community Plan.
Los Angeles County Supervisors Mike Antonovich and Zev Yaroslavsky offer differing views on the state of the county, reports the Daily News. Antonovich criticized the state's prison realignment plan that sent 16,000 parolees and nonviolent offenders back to the county. "We are talking about life-and-death issues that impact the safety of our community," he said.
Street and sidewalk cleanups on Skid Row are underway this morning, according to the Downtown News. For the next three weeks, city crews will powerwash the sidewalks, disinfect the area, and get rid of vermin and junk piles.
Vanity Fair looks at former LAPD Detective Stephanie Lazarus' murder of her ex-boyfriend's wife.
Where to Find the Politicians
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will speak at the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles' press conference on immigration at 10:30 a.m.
9:30 a.m. Board of Fire Commissioners, City Hall East, room 1820
- Update on controller's audit regarding response times
- Verbal repot on recruitment of firefighters
9:30 a.m. Board of Police Commissioners, LAPD Headquarters, board room
- Recommendation to approve an inspection plan for 2012-13
9:30 a.m. Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, Hall of Administration, board room
- Update on jail violence
- Report on ballot measure on whether to make assessor an appointed position
- Appointment of chief deputy assessor
10 a.m. Los Angeles City Council, City Hall, Council Chamber
- Approval of the Hollywood Community Plan
- Recommendation to approve a reward for information on the murder of the brother of Los Angeles Times' writer Jim Rainey
- Recommendation to declare Elephant Awareness Day
1 p.m. Education and Neighborhoods Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Verbal report on how much neighborhood councils should donate to elections
1:30 p.m. Arts, Parks, Health and Aging Committee, City Hall, room 1060
- Appointment to the Human Relations Commission
- Recommendation to confirm new city librarian
2:30 p.m. Planning and Land Use Management Committee, City Hall, room 350
- Recommendation to create a sign district at Olympic and Figueroa in downtown
3 p.m. Personnel and Animal Welfare Committee, City Hall, room 1050
- Report on the recruitment of police officers
- Report on the equine license fee
Los Angeles City Councilman Dennis Zine, also a candidate for controller, will speak to the Sherman Oaks Homeowners Association tomorrow at 7:15 p.m. at Notre Dame High School.
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.