Photo: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
LASD Parks Bureau deputies and numerous organizations responded to the hills surrounding the Hollywood Bowl for a Homeless Outreach Operation on Thursday, July 12, 2012.
Parks Bureau sheriff's deputies and homeless shelter outreach workers made contact Thursday with a community of transients living in brush encampments in the hills near the Hollywood Bowl, LASD announced.
Officials received numerous resident complaints about "threats and acts of violence, thefts, panhandling, littering, people bathing in residents pools, defecation, and fires started by transients," the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department announced.
Nearly a dozen organizations collaborated and assisted on the outreach operation which resulted in the voluntary relocation of twenty five men and three women, six individuals accepting emergency shelter, and others obtaining social and health services, said LASD. One man, found with a broken leg, was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
Organizations and departments involved in the operation:
- Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Parks Bureau
- Los Angeles Police Department
- People Assisting the Homeless (PATH)
- My Friends Place
- Social Services @ Blessed Sacrament
- Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center Youth Services
- Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health Services
- Step up on Second
- Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA)
- California Department of Transportation
Habitat restoration for public parkland damaged by the encampments will be handled by MRCA. The authority will also continue the clean up effort and take steps to prevent future illegal encampments.