Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Tuesday, Aug. 7, and here is what's happening in Los Angeles:
The Metro Blue Line is on pace to have its most fatal year ever, according to the Los Angeles Times. So far this year, there have been 22 crashes and 6 fatalities. "This has been an ongoing open sore for the MTA," said Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who is also a member of the Metro Board of Directors.
Former state Sen. Gloria Romero, who is now with Democrats for Education Reform, appears in a new ad for Proposition 32, reports the Los Angeles Times. Prop 32 would prohibit unions from automatically taking deductions from payroll to pay for political causes. " ... I learned something as Democratic leader in the Senate: The big-moneyed special interests don't want the change we need. And these special interests will spend millions of dollars to stop it," Romero says in the ad.
KPCC previews this evening's debate between the two candidates running for district attorney -- Jackie Lacey and Alan Jackson.
Over at Fox & Hounds, Joe Matthews ranks the likelihood that ballot measures will pass in November.
Where to Find the Politicians
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will attend the re-opening of the Marine Exchange of Southern California at 10 a.m. At 11 a.m., he will visit the U.S. Post Office and Assistance League of San Pedro.
8:30 a.m. Arts, Parks, Health and Aging Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Report on death of baby chimpanzee at Los Angeles Zoo
- Reports on equine-related issues
9:30 a.m. Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, Hall of Administration, board room
- Report on whether assessor should be an appointed position
9:30 a.m. Board of Fire Commissioners, City Hall East, room 1820
- Update on LAFD response times
- Update on the recruitment of firefighters
9:30 a.m. Board of Police Commissioners, LAPD Headquarters, board room
- Report on use of conditional official reprimands
10 a.m. Los Angeles City Council, City Hall, Council Chamber
- Recommendation to ban skateboard "bombing"
- Recommendation to approve appointments to Planning and Building and Safety Commissions
- Closed session discussion on requiring condoms on adult film sets
2:30 p.m. Planning and Land Use Management Committee, City Hall, room 350
- Update on Boyle Heights Community Plan
3 p.m. Personnel and Animal Welfare Committee, City Hall, room 1050
- Report from Personnel on police hiring
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.