The Latest | Southern California breaking news and trends
Politics

POLL: Occupy Wall Street 1 year later: Did it make a difference?



A demonstrator with the Occupy Wall Street holds up a 99% sign in front of the George Washington statue at Federal Hall during a rally on Wall Street on March 30, 2012 in New York City.
A demonstrator with the Occupy Wall Street holds up a 99% sign in front of the George Washington statue at Federal Hall during a rally on Wall Street on March 30, 2012 in New York City.
Michael Nagle/Getty Images
A demonstrator with the Occupy Wall Street holds up a 99% sign in front of the George Washington statue at Federal Hall during a rally on Wall Street on March 30, 2012 in New York City.
Protesters hold signs as they march to Los Angeles City Hall during the "Occupy Los Angeles" demonstration in solidarity with the ongoing "Occupy Wall Street" protest in New York City on Oct. 1, 2011 in Los Angeles.
Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images


The Occupy Wall Street movement began one year ago on Sept. 17, 2011 when protesters set up camp in New York City's Zuccotti Park, in the financial district. Occupy protesters sought to bring attention to economic inequality, contrasting the wealthiest 1 percent with the other 99 percent of people. They also attacked corruption in the financial sector and corporate influence on government.

The Occupy movement quickly grew beyond Wall Street — including to an Occupy L.A. encampment outside L.A. City Hall — and continues protesting today. However, original camps in New York City and Los Angeles were eventually broken up and Occupy began fading from the headlines.

Also on KPCC.org:

What was Occupy LA really protesting?

Occupy Wall Street anniversary: The state of the Occupy movement, one year in