The Latest

Southern California breaking news and trends

PHOTOS: 5 members of Inglewood family shot, two killed, gunman's autopsy pending (Updated)

49365 full

Update 12:18 p.m.: Police told the Los Angeles Times that the six-year-old shot in the pelvis early Saturday is now out of the hospital. His injured mother and seven-year-old sister are in stable condition, recovering at the hospital.

Update 10:08 a.m.: INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) - An autopsy is pending on a charred body found in the Southern California bungalow belonging to a gunman accused of breaking into a neighbor's home and shooting five family members, killing two of them.

Lt. Cheryl MacWillie with the Los Angeles County coroner's office said Sunday that investigators are still gathering information and the autopsy has not yet been scheduled.

The shooting rampage Saturday killed 33-year-old Filimon Lamas and his 4-year-old son. His 28-year-old wife, Gloria Jiminez, was shot in both legs but managed to carry the wounded 4-year-old out of the house.

Investigators believed 55-year-old Desmond John Moses set his own home ablaze before entering the family's home and opening fire.

Authorities said the body was found during a search of the badly burned bungalow. They will try to determine if the body is that of Moses.

Update 8:48 a.m.: Police found a body in the Southern California bungalow they believe to belong to a gunman who is accused of breaking into a neighbor's home and shooting five family members, killing two of them.

The shooting rampage before dawn Saturday killed a father, who was shielding two of his children, and his 4-year-old son, Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta said. His 28-year-old wife was shot in both legs but managed to carry the wounded 4-year-old out of the house.

Paramedics found her collapsed on the street. The child, who suffered a bullet wound to the head, died at a hospital.

"Their efforts were certainly heroic," the chief said. He called the shooting spree a horrific crime.

Investigators believed Desmond John Moses, 55, set his own home ablaze before entering the family's home around 4 a.m. wearing a dark cap and a white painter's mask.

Authorities say he fired 10 times. In addition to the deaths of the father and child and injury to the mother, a 7-year-old girl was wounded in the chest and a 6-year-old boy suffered a bullet wound in the pelvis. An 8-year-old boy escaped injury.

The mother and daughter remained hospitalized in stable condition, Inglewood Police Lt. James Madia said. The 6-year-old boy was released.

Authorities announced late Saturday night that the body was found during a search of the badly burned bungalow. The now finished investigation took hours because it was packed with debris, which ranged from hiking boots to little children's toys to books.

"He was kind of a hoarder or pack rat," Madia said.

He said police planned to continue looking for Moses until an autopsy can identify the body.

Madia said Moses lived in the bungalow for 17 years, while the family lived in the front house for 8 years.

Fronterotta would not discuss the nature of the dispute, but the property owner told the Los Angeles Times that Moses had been fighting an eviction notice and recently lost his case in court.

A woman who knew the family, Judy Castellanos, told the Times that the suspect was reclusive and would not let anyone look inside his home.

"He had been asked to leave by the end of this month," she told the newspaper.

After the shooting, police evacuated about 15 nearby houses to search for Moses while firefighters and investigators sifted through Moses' bungalow to determine whether he returned there after the shooting.

The names of the family members have not been released pending notification of relatives.

Update 4:44 p.m.: "Our SWAT team is still working in the burnt building and we still have several units doing grid searches throughout about a 2 1/2 block radius around the site, Lt. James Madia of the Inglewood Police Department said at a press conference. "We've put out a crime broadcast to agencies around the county. And we're starting to work with our partners at the federal level to get the word out so we can start expanding the size of the manhunt." 

Previously:

The shooting spree began around 4:30 a.m. this morning at a residence on the 4900 block of W. 99th Street near the 405 freeway.

Five neighboring houses have been evacuated as a SWAT team is using police dogs to search for the attacker, who may have lived in a rear house on the property, Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta told KABC.

"Right now we’re looking for a male black, 55, 5 foot 6, 160 pounds, wearing a dark ball cap and at the time of the shooting was wearing what people describe as a painter's mask," Lt. James Madia of the Inglewood Police Department told KPCC.

According to KTLA, officials say the home was set on fire prior to the gunfire. Firefighters were initially hampered from fighting the fire, which included the back guest house, because of the gunman who was believed to have been holed up in one of the structures.

Officials say a 6-year-old boy and a 7-year-old child are in critical but stable condition. Their mother was shot in the knee and the pelvis as she was trying to carry the youngest child out of the house. The chief says the father was shielding two of his children when he was shot.

Police have no motive, but the gunman may have been a tenant who was recently evicted.

Meanwhile an 8-year-old child was also rushed to the hospital but doesn't seem to have any serious injuries.

Officials are asking neighbors stay inside their homes until the suspect is apprehended.

With contributions by Andrea Wang

blog comments powered by Disqus

Enjoy reading The Latest? You might like KPCC’s other blogs.

What's popular now on KPCC