As Hurricane Sandy causes massive destruction on the East Coast, the inquisitive Mental Floss reports on the expression (and non-racist Halloween costume idea) "It's raining cats and dogs" and examines how the rest of the world describes a downpour.
Disastrous deluges, shown historically to hydrate a human propensity for idiom construction, have flooded the planet with fanciful, unusual and somewhat sexist figures of speech regarding this type of weather event. Take a sip of the list below. Full details via Mental Floss:
- "It’s raining cobbler boys," or "It's raining shoemakers’ apprentices."
- "Det regner skomagerdrenge."
- "It’s raining like a pissing cow."
- "Il pleut comme vache qui pisse."
- "It’s raining troll women," or "It’s raining witches."
- "Det regner trollkjerringer."
- "It’s raining puppies."
- "Es regnet junge Hunde."
- "It’s raining pocket knives," and "It’s raining frogs’ beards."
- "Está chovendo canivetes" and "Está chovendo barba de sapo."
- "Tractors are falling."
- "Padajú traktory."
- "It’s raining old women with clubs."
- "Ou vrouens met knopkieries reen."
MORE ON HURRICANE SANDY:
- Update: Live map of Hurricane Sandy, latest online news, official links
- SoCal Edison sending crews to help with Sandy; local flights cancelled
- Hurricane Sandy: Share your photos of the massive storm
- Hurricane veteran rides out Sandy away from the Chesapeake Bay
- Hurricane Sandy: Latest news as the worst begins to be felt