The Latest

Southern California breaking news and trends

LA city officials bulldoze fence at Occupy San Fernando Valley protest home

47365 full

Los Angeles city officials have torn down a 6-foot-tall wooden fence surrounding a home whose owner, Javier Hernandez, has been fighting fighting a bank-ordered eviction.

Read our recent interview with Hernandez and see more photos of protesters at the home.

Bulldozers from the city’s Building and Safety Department removed the fence Monday, the Los Angeles Daily News reports. Officials said it posed a danger and was on public property.

The home has become an encampment of the protest group Occupy San Fernando Valley that has been helping owner Javier Hernandez fight eviction for the past 65 days.

The three-bedroom home was sold at an auction in August after Hernandez failed to make mortgage payments over the past four years. Bank of America says Hernandez failed to submit documents for a loan modification last year.

Hernandez bought the house for $546,000 in 2006.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Enjoy reading The Latest? You might like KPCC’s other blogs.

What's popular now on KPCC