Southern California breaking news and trends

Update: Three charged with attempted murder after Florence shooting wounds deputy

LA County Sheriffs Dept

LASD deputies meet at a command post during a search for suspects who shot a deputy Friday night in the Florence area of South Los Angeles.

Updated 2:52 p.m.:

Three of the four suspects arrested following the shooting of a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy Friday night have been charged with attempted murder, authorities told the Los Angeles Times.

According to the Times, the Sheriff's Department identified the three as Michael Cones, 36, and Joe Childs and Brendan Caveness, both 24. 

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca says the suspects detained are members of a gang "that's rather renowned for its violence."

Previously:

Four suspected gang members are in custody after a Los Angeles County anti-gang deputy was wounded in a Friday night shooting in the Florence area.

The shooting took place around 9:3o p.m. last night near 81st Street and Parmalee Avenue when gang enforcement deputies from the Operation Safe Streets (OSS) Bureau approached a group of five to 10 men. As the men ran from the authorities, some of them fired at the deputies, who returned fired, according to the LASD. 

One bullet struck a deputy in the abdomen. He was rushed to a local hospital where he is in stable condition after undergoing surgery, according to LASD Deputy Nicole Nishida. The wounded deputy, whose name has not been released, is a 15-year LASD veteran and has been part of OSS for the last two years, she said.

The four suspects were arrested after more than 100 deputies and other law enforcement officers closed dozens of streets around the scene near 81st Street and Parmalee Avenue. They're being held at the Century Regional Detention Center in Lynwood and will be chargd with attempted murder of a peace officer, authorities said.

Deputies are still searching for more suspects, but most of the streets near the scene of the shooting have reopened and the containment area has been reduced to five blocks. The affected area is from Zamora Ave. on the west to Compton Ave. on the east, and Nadeau St. on the north to Aldis Ave. on the south.

Investigators say anyone with information about the shooting should contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500 or by using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org.

With contributions by AP and Andrea Wang

blog comments powered by Disqus