Photo by Meindert Arnold Jacob via Flickr Creative Commons
Wind up lined up for hours down the halls of the all malls, of follow our suggestions for alternative Black Friday activities.
For those about to shop, we salute you. For those about to nap, here are a few alternatives to fill the hours of festive, digestive distress known as Black Friday. No deals, or steals, or sales, or limited time onlys, or while supplies last. Just good old-fashioned avoidance.
1. Set up for the next holiday
- Don't waste a perfectly good future day when you have this one to prepare. Pull decorations out of closets, start writing up cards and finding addresses, decide on menus and make a list of recipes. Fashion Island started preparing the day after Halloween (overachievers), but you'll still be ahead of the game. Then, relax and enjoy all future weekends as the seasonal madness ramps up all around. Don't worry, the new-found sense of calm superiority will keep you plenty warm.
2. Marathon television
If you have Netflix, you can program any variety of marathon you choose. For those taking a grab bag approach to viewing, you are at the mercy of your teacher, mother, secret lover television. Here's what the TV has planned for Friday via Hollywood.com. Some of these begin Thanksgiving day. Check your local listings.
- Star Wars Marathon (SPIKE)
- The Millionaire Matchmaker Marathon (BRAVO)
- Doomsday Preppers Bugged Out Marathon (NATGEO)
- Fringe Marathon (SCIENCE)
- Bond Movie Marathon (SYFY)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 7 Marathon (BBC AMERICA)
- Friends Marathon (TBS)
- Thanksgiving With Your Godfather Marathon (AMC)
- Hatfields & McCoys (HISTORY)
- NCIS Gibbs That Keeps On Giving Marathon (USA NETWORK)
- Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Marathon (FOOD NETWORK)
- Band of Brothers Marathon (SPIKE)
- Beverly Hills, 90210 (SOAPNET)
- America's Next Top Model (OXYGEN)
- Oh, there's also lots of football.
- [Bonus viewing] Frosty the Snowman on CBS and Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown on FOX
3. Downtown on Ice
- Twisted ankles and bruised pride are nothing compared to a lifetime of saying you ice skated outdoors in Los Angeles. Pershing Square is the place to be.
4. Pick another color
- The Frisky offers a rainbow of color-coded options to (ie: Green Friday, Yellow Friday, Pink Friday) to brighten up the day.
- Help Union Station Homeless Services clean up after their 38th annual Thanksgiving dinner event. Rabbi Marvin Gross of Union Station told KPCC's Ashley Bailey that they had enough volunteers scheduled for Thanksgiving, but could use some extra help cleaning up on post-feast on Friday. For more information, go to the event page.
- If candy is dandy and liquor is quicker, then what's cream sauce and gravy? Perhaps it's best not to ask. Here are 5 fun ways to burn off Thanksgiving calories around Los Angeles. KPCC's Andrea Wang suggests uncovering a hidden hike, joining a theme stroll, or diving into a duo of dance parties.
7. Whales, Museums, Rodney Dangerfield