Bulbs are bright across Southern California as holiday tree lighting ceremonies set ablaze the next phase of seasonal consumption. If you're underwhelmed by moonlight and wish instead to see nature electrified and covered in glitter, this is a great week to be alive.
At the Grove and Americana, Caruso Christmas has already climbed to a combined 200 feet of festive white fir that's been fashioned with more than 50,000 lights and ornaments. Elsewhere, L.A. County Supervisor Mike Antonovich led the county's official tree-lighting ceremony Monday at the Music Center while City Councilman Bernard Parks presided over the 10th annual event in South Los Angeles.
Below is a list of local lighting ceremonies still to come. Is there an event in your neighborhood? Tell us in the comments.
WEDNESDAY, Nov. 28
- A tree glows in DTLA. Specifically, an artificial 66-foot sequoia — strapped with 120,000 tiny LEDs — rooted in the center of the LA Kings outdoor holiday ice rink. Barry Manilow, Ozomatli and others are set to perform at the ceremony.
800 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
THURSDAY, Nov. 29
- The mayor will light the city's official city Christmas tree. Santa will be there.
Meridian Ave. and El Centro Street (next to the Gold Line Station)
South Pasadena, CA 91030
FRIDAY, Nov. 30
- Santa, sips, snacks, sparklies.
280 East Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91101
- Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will lead the special event at the city’s birthplace. Choirs, children's mariachi, photo ops with the Tournament of Roses Queen, and an Ice Age-inspired arts & crafts workshop will continue into the evening.
El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument
125 Paseo De La Plz #400
Los Angeles, CA 90012
SATURDAY, Dec. 1
- A ceremony at City Hall will be followed by Santa's Downtown Wonderland with a parade on San Fernando Boulevard and free photos with the jolly one.
275 East Olive Avenue
Burbank, CA 91502
SATURDAY & SUNDAY, Dec. 1 - 2
- Costumed ghosts guide revelers and Scrooges through a Victorian retelling of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol via a home tour and holiday treats.
3800 Homer Street
Los Angeles, CA 90031
4:00 p.m.-8:45 p.m ($20)
TUESDAY, Dec. 4
Millennium Biltmore Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony
506 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, 90071
36th Annual City of San Gabriel Tree Lighting
428 S. Mission Drive
San Gabriel, CA 91776
THURSDAY, Dec. 6
Old Town Monrovia Tree Lighting & Holiday Parade
321 South Myrtle Avenue
Monrovia, CA 91016
FRIDAY, Dec. 7
- Santa and the Mrs. will arrive in antique style to light the gazebo and the trees along Foothill Blvd. There will be caroling.
1206 Foothill Blvd
La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011
SATURDAY, Dec. 8
- A tradition for more than 90 years, the "Mile of Christmas Trees" event claims to be the oldest large-scale Christmas lighting spectacle in the U.S.
Santa Rosa Avenue
btw. Woodbury Avenue & Altadena Drive
Altadena, CA 91001