Image: Lisa Brenner / USC photo by cogdogblog/Alan Levine via Flickr Creative Commons
Only days after the School of Cinematic Arts announced plans to rebrand its Interactive Media Division as the Interactive Media and Games Division, USC was named by The Princeton Review as the best graduate school in North America for video game design.
The University of Southern California has held the honor since The Princeton Review started ranking game design programs four years ago, according to USC:
For the fourth straight year, USC has been named the No. 1 game design school in North America for its graduate program by The Princeton Review. This ranking is shared by the Interactive Media and Games Division at the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) and the USC Viterbi School of Engineering’s Department of Computer Science.
The university took the No. 2 spot for its undergraduate program.
Our local reigning champion offers a program that "encourages collaboration across all schools and divisions at USC ... Incorporating elements of design, artistry and engineering," says the school, which is celebrating a new building and the program's 10-year anniversary.
For the latest ranking, 150 programs in the United States and Canada were surveyed. Evaluation criteria included:
- Quality of the curriculum
- Faculty credentials
- Facilities and infrastructure
- Scholarships and financial aid
- Career opportunities
According to a university news release, some of the program’s successes include significant contributions to:
- Modern Warfare 3 (Bharathwaj Nandakumar)
- Farmville and Farmville 2 (Raymond Xiang)
- flOw (Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago of thatgamecompany)
- Cloud (Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago of thatgamecompany)
- Flower (Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago of thatgamecompany)
- Journey (Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago of thatgamecompany)
- The Unfinished Swan (Ian Dallas and Max Geiger)
- The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (Matt Korba and Paul Bellezza)
- Puzzlejuice (Asher Vollmer)
- Darfur is Dying (Susana Ruiz)
- Starwars 1313 (Pol Jeremias)