The Latest

Southern California breaking news and trends

Probation officer, suspect met day before Northridge kidnapping

57594 full
57594 full

A man suspected in last week's abduction of a 10-year-old girl in Northridge met with his probation officer the day before the kidnapping. 

Tobias Dustin Summers, whom Los Angeles Police believe may be at large in San Diego, checked in with his probation officer on March 26, according to department records.

"At that time, the deputy probation officer did not report anything unusual about the interaction," said Assistant Chief Probation Officer Margarita Perez. 

On Wednesday, March 27, according to LAPD, the 10-year-old girl went missing from her bedroom in Northridge. Her mother discovered her missing at 3:30 a.m. and called police. The girl was found nearly 12 hours later. 

On Saturday, police named Summers as a kidnapping suspect and arrested a second man, Daniel Martinez, on Sunday. 

RELATED: Missing 10-year-old Northridge girl found; 2 suspects sought

Perez said Summers' criminal history is extensive, dating back to 1997, and includes three prison stints, the most recent of which ended in August 2012. Under the state's prison realignment law, AB 109, Summers then reported to L.A. County's Probation Department for post-release supervision. 

Other than a three-day jail stint for a violation in January 2013 (the maximum penalty currently allowed by law), Summers "was doing well" under supervision, Perez said.

"By 'well,' I mean from the standpoint that he was being compliant, he was reporting," Perez said. "He wasn't doing drugs, he wasn't testing dirty, he wasn't doing all of those things that sometimes offenders do." 

On March 26, Summers told his probation officer he was looking for a place to live in the North Hollywood area and meanwhile staying with friends and family. He also passed a drug test. 

Some, including L.A. County Supervisor Michael Antonovich, have criticized prison realignment in the wake of Summers being named a suspect. On Monday, Antonovich released a statement saying the program has "failed" and is a "proven threat to public safety." He also called on Gov. Jerry Brown to repeal the "reckless" program.

Summers was charged late Wednesday with kidnapping a minor under age 14 and nearly three dozen counts of sexual assault. If captured and convicted, he faces multiple life terms in prison.

It's unclear whether Summers would have faced tougher supervision had realignment not passed. In the past, Summers would have been supervised by state parole agents rather than county probation officers. 

Perez, who came to Los Angeles County from Parole Operations, said his supervision was more or less equivalent.

"They experienced the same thing when this population was under their jurisdiction," Perez said.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Enjoy reading The Latest? You might like KPCC’s other blogs.

What's popular now on KPCC