The Latest

Southern California breaking news and trends

Update: No arrests, no suspects detained after 2 LAPD officers shot at in a.m. ambush

63540 full

UPDATE 5:58 p.m.: Last person detained has been released; no arrests

The most recent person detained in the manhunt for someone who shot at two LAPD detectives early Tuesday has been released. A caller had earlier told police that someone matching the suspect description was seen leaving a laundry room in the 1600 block of Highland Avenue.

Police have broken down their perimeter in the Mid-City area and traffic is now allowed through Venice where a command post was set up.

No one is currently detained and no arrests have been made.

UPDATE 4:11 p.m.: Person detained

One person was detained in the 1600 block of Highland Avenue after someone called police to say they saw someone matching the suspect description coming out of a laundry room.

"We deployed resources over there from SWAT and K-9," said LAPD Det. Gus Villanueva. "Currently, it sounds like we may have somebody detained within that perimeter, and the search and the investigation continues."

Villanueva said officers would likely speak with the caller next to see if an identification could be made.

UPDATE 3:13 p.m.: Ten people were detained for questioning, then released, after a black-clad gunman ambushed two detectives returning to a police station early Tuesday morning, and police were scaling back the area under lockdown in Mid-City Los Angeles.

No arrests have been made and police are focusing their search in the area of Venice Boulevard and Highland Avenue.

The two police officers were treated and released from the hospital with only minor injuries, police said.

Earlier in the day, police cordoned off 25 square blocks of the Mid-City area, detained three or four people for questioning and planned to look at surveillance video from homes and businesses in the area, Cmdr. Andrew Smith said.

Patrol resources are beginning to go back to normal duty after spending 10 hours searching for a man who opened fire on the two LAPD undercover burglary detectives at the Wilshire police station.

After K-9 units finish clearing streets in the Mid-City area, LAPD will break down the search perimeter, but Venice Boulevard between La Brea and San Vicente will remain closed.

"As soon as police open up their street, people can move about," said LAPD Det. Gus Villanueva.

LAPD and Sheriff's SWAT and K-9 units swept streets one-by-one searching for the suspect.

"We heard a car take off after the shooting, so my guess is, he's not here," said Jesus Hernandez who lives a couple blocks from the Wilshire police station.

All morning and throughout the afternoon, motor cops and black SWAT vehicles rushed up and down Venice Boulevard. Multiple helicopters made low swoops over apartment buildings around 11 a.m. when there were reports of a someone seeing a man hopping backyard fences.

Police blocked off several streets during the search, leaving people trapped in some neighborhoods, stuck in congested traffic and late for work.

"They got to do whatever they got to do, but I think it's too much," said Kent Kim, owner of Beauty Depot on La Brea and Washington, with a laugh.

It took Kim an hour to get to his store. He said it gets busy in the mornings, but that on Tuesday foot traffic through his door was cut back until about 12 p.m., when the intersection opened to traffic.

Police search teams went door-to-door clearing street-by-street allowing them to shrink the size of the perimeter that was closed off to the public.

PREVIOUSLY: A black-clad gunman ambushed two detectives returning to a police station early Tuesday, but they received only minor injuries, police said.
           
Police cordoned off 25 square blocks of the Mid-City area, detained three or four people for questioning and planned to look at surveillance video from homes and businesses in the area, Cmdr. Andrew Smith said.

The shooting "was a blatant attempt to assassinate two of the people who protect this community," Beck said at a morning news conference.

Portions of the busy area would remain locked down until at least noon, Smith said.
           
"Anybody who's willing to do this and take on two armed police officers outside of a police station is obviously a very dangerous person," Smith said. "We want to do everything we can to get this individual in custody so we can keep our community safe."
           
The detectives, who are with an undercover burglary task force, were returning to the Wilshire Division station on Venice Boulevard at about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday and were using a keycard to open the gate when they were attacked, police said.
           
"Suddenly someone from behind began shooting at their vehicle," Smith said.
           
The car was hit several times and the detectives fired back, but the man ran away, Newman said at a later news conference.
           
One officer suffered a minor wound to the back of his head, either from a bullet graze or debris from the damaged car, Newman said. The other had an injury to the back of his hand. They were treated at a hospital and returned to a command post for the manhunt.
           
"It's a tremendous relief" that neither was seriously hurt, Smith said.
           
One detective has 20 years on the job and the other is an 11-year veteran, Smith said.
           
TV news reports showed a white car with shattered windows and a bullet hole in the windshield stopped in the station driveway.
           
About 200 officers, aided by helicopters and dogs, searched for the gunman, described as a man in his 30s dressed in all black and wearing a black cap.
           
Three men matching that description were detained and the detectives would be asked to determine whether they could identify any of them as the gunman, Smith said.
           
The gunman had to know that only police officers could enter the station through that gate and, therefore, that the people in the car were officers, Smith said.
           
The shooting was believed to be an isolated attack, but as a precaution all other police stations were notified to be on high alert, Smith said.
           
"They're looking for anyone who might be doing something like this across the city," he said.
           
The police force was placed on tactical alert, meaning officers were kept on duty at the ends of their shifts as the search proceeded. The citywide alert was later downgraded to a regional alert.
           
The search comes about four months after a sweeping manhunt for fired Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner ended with him committing suicide in a mountain cabin.
           
Dorner, who vowed revenge in a rambling online manifesto after he was fired from the LAPD, killed four people, including two law enforcement officers, during a Southern California rampage.
           
A Police Department review later upheld his firing.

This story has been updated.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Enjoy reading The Latest? You might like KPCC’s other blogs.

What's popular now on KPCC