1. Rim Fire: Yosemite wildfire now 7th largest in Calif. history (map, photos) (KPCC)
Crews made some progress overnight on the aggressive wildfire burning in parts of Yosemite National Park, but the fire grew to 179,481 acres.
2. Hagel: US military stands ready to strike Syria (AP)
Hagel told BBC television on Tuesday that the Defense Department has "moved assets in place to be able to fulfill and comply with whatever option the president wishes to take."
3. Purple Heart recipient sentenced in Medicare fraud case (KPCC)
Estill Mitts recruited Skid Row transients for hospital procedures they didn’t need. "He was the ringleader," said prosecutors. A judge on Monday sentenced Mitts to 18 months in prison.
4. Tesla sales hum in California, beating Porsche, Land Rover (NPR)
It's been a good year for Tesla Motors and its Model S luxury sedan in California, where Tesla is selling more cars than Porsche, Jaguar, Lincoln, or Buick.
5. 279 birds seized in Palmdale cockfighting raid (AP)
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement Monday that most of the birds were roosters being groomed for fighting. Forty hens were being used for breeding.
6. US home prices rise strong 12.1 percent in June (AP)
U.S. home prices rose 12.1 percent in June from a year earlier, nearly matching a seven-year high. But month-over-month price gains slowed in most markets.
7. LADWP board to vote on plan to speed Mono Lake recovery (KPCC)
L.A. Department of Water and Power Commissioners will consider a settlement to end decades of argument over ecological damage at Mono Lake stemming from the city's water use.
8. Whittier answers Latino lawsuit with district voting plans (KPCC)
Either plan on Tuesday's council agenda would shift city elections away from its at-large system, which critics say has prevented Latino representation.