TORU YAMANAKA/AFP/Getty Images
Oscar-winning Japanese animator and film director Hayao Miyazaki walks past a advertising board for a photo session following the release of his new animated movie "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" at a theater in Tokyo on July 19, 2008.
1. Search for missing 19-year old college student continues (KPCC)
The search continued Tuesday for a missing 19-year old college student who was traveling from northern California to visit his family in Laguna Niguel.
2. Foreign Relations Committee comes to agreement on Syria (NPR)
The Authorization for the Use of Military Force gives the president a time limit on any military strikes against Syria and would ban the president from putting troops on the ground.
3. Undocumented immigrant seeks right to practice law in Calif. (KPCC)
On Wednesday, the California Supreme Court will hear the case of Sergio Garcia, a law school graduate and undocumented immigrant, seeking a license to practice law.
4. They're lining up, already, for 2015 LA City Council race (KPCC)
A former spokesman for Antonio Villaraigosa and the chief of staff to Councilman Tom LaBonge filed papers Tuesday to run for city council in 2015.
5. Bad news in the animation world: Miyazaki is retiring (KPCC)
About the worst news any lover of animation could receive came from the Venice Film Festival this week, when the Oscar-winning director Hayao Miyazaki announced his retirement.
6. Rim Fire: Containment of Yosemite fire at 75 percent (Map, Fire Tracker) (AP with KPCC staff)
A massive wildfire burning around Yosemite National Park is less than 5,000 acres from becoming the third largest in California history.
7. Time Warner CBS deal: Who won, who lost. Did you? (KPCC)
Time Warner Cable and CBS end a month-long battle affecting more than three million cable customers nationwide. What was lost and gained?