1. US orders diplomats out of Lebanon (KPCC)
The State Department on Friday ordered nonessential U.S. diplomats to leave Lebanon due to security concerns as the Obama administration and Congress debate military strikes on neighboring Syria.
2. Head Start program for farm workers facing changes (KPCC)
The center, set up to serve migrants, January to September, the area's typical planting and growing season. But as the season goes year round, the program can't keep up.
3. Weekend Traffic: Crowds expected for USC's first home game (KPCC)
Click to read about closures on Southern California roads and freeways, such as a full closure on the 91 freeway in Downtown Riverside tonight.
4. Fight to continue over nurse practitioner independence (KPCC)
Nurse practitioners in California must continue to work under direct doctor supervision following defeat of proposed law, SB 491.
5. PETA wants LA Unified kids to do virtual dissections on iPads (KPCC)
Now that LAUSD is buying iPads for students, animal rights group PETA is offering the district a free app to simulate dissections instead of dissecting real animals.
6. 8 places to cool off and eat frozen desserts (Map) (KPCC)
Eat ice cream or gelato and forget about the scorching temps. Here are 8 of the best places to visit in Southern California.
7. 2 librarians among 13 people indicted for stealing textbooks (KPCC)
Employees at four LA area school districts participated in a “massive scheme” to steal thousands of textbooks, according to an indictment unsealed Thursday.
8. #LostInLA: Here are 7 cheap ways to hang like a local (KPCC)
Free weekend? Here's a list of fun and inexpensive events happening in hoods around SoCal from downtown L.A. to Santa Monica.
9. Sea turtle gets Hollywood send-off after Long Beach rehab (KPCC)
Her name is LO13-1. When she was found on Venice Beach in January she was underweight, extremely cold and had a hard time floating. She has now returned to the ocean a new turtle.
10. Rim Fire: Hunter's illegal fire set off blaze near Yosemite (KPCC)
The U.S. Forest Service says a gigantic wildfire near Yosemite National Park began when a hunter allowed an illegal fire to escape. See a map and KPCC's Fire Tracker here.