Photo by Gavin Bell via Flickr Creative Commons
With the San Onofre nuclear plant on a government mandated time out, a "Flex Alert" has been issued by the managers of California's power grid in an attempt to keep state energy reserves from falling to the point of a Stage 1 Emergency.
On Thursday, California Independent System Operator declared the call for conservation to go into effect Friday through Sunday as the revenge of summer continues. The National Weather Service has warned valley and inland areas to prepare for unwelcomed humidity as the muggy insult to triple-digit-temp injury.
Around Southern California, cooling centers can be found in Los Angeles County, Ventura County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County and by using the Southern California Edison cooling center locator map.
LADWP/EDISON ENERGY CONSERVATION TIPS
- set thermostats no cooler than 78 degrees
- limit large appliance use during peak hours (washing machines, dishwashers)
- keep drapes and blinds closed to cool off rooms
- ventilate homes at night and in the early a.m. to allow cool air to circulate
- limit opening the refrigerator
- turn off unnecessary lights
- use ceiling fans or smaller fans instead of air conditioners