Southern California breaking news and trends

Bryan Stow beating case: In video, suspect Marvin Norwood says 'Pretty sure I'm going down for it'

Photo via NBC LA

Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood are the primary suspects in the March 31, 2011 beating of Bryan Stow in the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

The preliminary hearing for Marvin Norwood and Louie Sanchez, the suspects in last year's near fatal beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow on opening day at Dodger Stadium, continues Thursday in L.A.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli saw the first piece of evidence yesterday, a video put forth by L.A. County prosecutors of defendant Norwood talking to his mother on the phone about his involvement in the incident, reports the L.A. Times

In an interrogation room, on a LAPD detective's cellphone, 31-year-old Norwood tells his mother, "Hey, I got arrested for that Dodger Stadium thing... I was involved... Pretty sure I'm going down for it," remarking that 30-year-old Sanchez was also in custody, says the Times.

The pair could stand trial on charges of assault and battery, inflicting great bodily injury, and mayhem, if it's determined there is enough evidence to proceed.


Take me out to the high-security ball game: A 'peaceful' plan for opening day at Dodger Stadium


Photo by The West End via Flickr Creative Commons

A plentiful police presence will be felt at Dodger Stadium on Tuesday when the Dodgers take on the Pittsburgh Pirates at 1:10 p.m. LAPD will be out in force "to ensure a peaceful opening day" said an official statement.

Authorities have reportedly been working with the team for months to create a patrol plan, and officers began watching the parks near the stadium on Monday night for ordinance violations, especially alcohol-related infractions.

On opening day 2011, Bryan Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic, was attacked to near-death outside the stadium. Stow, a San Francisco Giants fan, was left in a coma after being brutally punched and kicked him in the head after the game. Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood have pleaded not guilty to charges of mayhem assault and battery in that attack.