Southern California breaking news and trends

Rancho Cucamonga man gets year in jail for beating his pet Rottweiler to death


A Rottweiler like this one was beaten to death by a man in Rancho Cucamonga on April 4.

A Rancho Cucamonga man was sentenced to a year in jail and three years probation for beating his dog to death earlier this month.

Christopher Munoz, 27, had pleaded no contest to animal cruelty charges stemming from the April 4 incident.

Witnesses said they saw Munoz severely beat his pet Rottweiler at a Rancho Cucamonga park at about 4 p.m. that day. According to some reports, he then dragged the leashed, unconscious animal behind his bicycle back to his apartment -- although the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin says he also “loaded the dog into a stroller.”

Sheriff’s deputies, alerted to the beating by witnesses, arrived at Munoz’s apartment to confront him, but Munoz barricaded himself inside. He finally surrendered, but the dog died soon after.

A detailed report of the incident on a self-described “cruelty database” claims Munoz had a 9-year-old boy with him, and that authorities tried to get Munoz’s wife to help extricate him from the apartment. His wife said that Munoz was on medications, according to this report.


Fatal morning accident sends light pole crashing onto I-210 Freeway

map of 210 freeway

Screenshot via Google Maps

A fatal crash on the 210 Freeway in Rancho Cucamonga closed lanes of westbound traffic on Friday morning. The accident, which occurred near Amethyst Avenue, was reported around just after 5:00 a.m.

The incident involved a 1996 GMC Suburban traveling about 70 mph in the westbound carpool. The vehicle, according to a written statement by officials, veered to the right crossing all lanes of traffic and climbed an embankment where it overturned and hit a metal light pole, causing it to fall onto the freeway.

The 68-year-old San Bernardino man behind the wheel was killed, and his 14-year-old female passenger was reportedly injured and taken to a local hospital, according to the California Highway Patrol, notes the Press Enterprise.  

"The primary cause of this collision is still under investigation," according to the statement. Traffic has resumed to normal speeds.