Southern California breaking news and trends

SWAT standoff ends in Long Beach, K-9 subdued suspect is arrested

Photo via NBC LA

July 5, 2012: An armed SWAT officer is seen here, stationed outside a Long Beach home.

SWAT standoff ends in Long Beach, K-9 subdued suspect is arrested

A lengthy standoff has ended between Long Beach SWAT team members and an armed man who barricaded himself inside his home in the 6100 block of John Avenue.

The standoff began just before 8 a.m. Thursday morning when the man shot a code enforcement officer in the head. 

Long Beach police spokeswoman Nancy Pratt told KPCC's Rob Strauss that the inspector had gone to the man’s home, along with police officers, to serve an inspection warrant.  

"As they were in front of the house determining their course of action, a shot was fired. As a result, one of the inspectors was struck in the head causing all to take cover," Pratt said.

The injured officer is expected to make a full recovery. 

Pratt says the man continued to fire his gun when additional officers arrived on the scene. Officers evacuated five homes in the neighborhood as they attempted to coax the man out of his house. 


SWAT standoff: Barricaded parolee shoots at parents, car, deputies

handgun recovered

Photo: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Handgun recovered at the scene of an 8-hour standoff on Saturday, June 23, 2012.

An eight hour standoff between sheriff's deputies and an armed, barricaded parolee ended with an arrest and a trip to the hospital for the suspect who suffered non-life threatening injuries.

On Saturday a man and woman went to the Carson Sheriff's Station and told deputies their 31-year-old son had shot at them, at their car, and had locked himself in the house, LASD said in a release. The father suffered minor injuries to his foot. 

Deputies arriving at the 40 block of South Camelback in Carson asked the suspect to step outside, but he refused. Additional patrol deputies were called and soon after LASD Special Enforcement Bureau SWAT deputies and a K-9 and handler arrived to the scene.

Gunfire was heard periodically from inside the location and deputies took cover. Fragmented stucco was seen coming out of the exterior walls. No deputies were hit by gunfire during the standoff, and no deputies shot their firearms. 


Wilshire Blvd shut down, shooting and standoff near Miracle Mile

swat standoff on wilshire ktla

Photo: KTLA's David Begnaud via Twitter

Sky 5 photo of LAPD and shooting suspect at Mansfield and Wilshire near Miracle Mile.

A section of Wilshire Boulevard is shut down near Miracle Mile after a man was shot around 1:45 p.m. Monday at South Orange Drive, LAPD Officer Greg Baek told the L.A. Weekly.

The shooting victim survived and was taken to a local hospital. LAPD radio traffic reportedly indicated that a wounded man was taken to Cedars Sinai Medical Center.

News outlet footage depicts a standoff LAPD SWAT members and the suspect. According to reports, Wilshire is closed from Highland Avenue to La Brea.

Reporter David Begnaud has been live tweeting images from the KTLA helicopter circling over Wilshire and Mansfield. 

Updated 4:20 p.m.: The suspect was taken into custody around 3:30 p.m.

Updated 6:12 p.m.: The man is accused of shooting another man in the face, the Associated Press reports.

Los Angeles police Officer Karen Rayner says the suspect, whose name was not released, was taken into custody after an hour-long standoff that brought traffic in the area to a halt.

Rayner tells a local wire service that the shooting was the culmination of a dispute that began on a bus around 1:45 p.m. Monday.

Police found the suspected shooter in front of a BMW dealership a few blocks away. Rayner says officers fired a couple of bean bag rounds at him, but he refused to surrender. Eventually a SWAT team was called in and surrounded the man.

Rayner says the victim is listed in critical but stable condition.