Southern California breaking news and trends

Time Warner's Lakers blackout area extends from San Diego to Fresno to Hawaii

Time Warner Cable Sportsnet

Time Warner Cable

A handout announcing Time Warner Cable Sportsnet broadcasting the Lakers 2012-2013 season

As the NBA season gets closer to tipping off, Lakers fans are getting nervous that the team won't be able to be seen in homes that don't receive Time Warner cable.

The new look purple-and-gold recently partnered with the cable giant who is having a hard time convincing other SoCal outlets to carry the games. Because of that, millions of tv sets poised to broadcast Kobe, Pau, and Metta World Peace join forces with newly acquired Steve Nash and Dwight Howard will be blacked out unless deals are reached with the likes of DirecTV, AT&T Uverse, Cox, Dish and others.

Playfully, yesterday we recommended five ways people can watch the games without having Time Warner cable, including moving to San Diego or Fresno, which we assumed were far enough away from Staples Center that it would avoid a blackout.

Read More...

5 ways to watch the Lakers if you don't have Time Warner

Los Angeles Lakers Media Day

Harry How/Getty Images

Pau Gasol #16 of the Los Angeles Lakers speaks to the media during Media Day at Toyota Sports Center on October 1, 2012 in El Segundo, California.

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers

Harry How/Getty Images

LOS ANGELES, CA - DECEMBER 10: Steve Nash #13 of the Phoenix Suns laughs with Kobe Bryant #24 of the Los Angeles Lakers during the second half at the Staples Center on December, 10 2008 in Los Angeles, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Steve Nash;Kobe Bryant

Los Angeles Clippers v Los Angeles Lakers

Harry How/Getty Images

LOS ANGELES, CA - DECEMBER 19: Metta World Peace #15 of the Los Angeles Lakers reacts as he enters the game against the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center on December 19, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)


The Lakers have assembled a veteran team of all-stars with the addition of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard. Finally the people of L.A. will start saying "Clippers who?"

Unfortunately, the purple-and-gold have also partnered with cable giant Time Warner who is having a hard time convincing any other outlet to carry the games.

Right now, unless you have Time Warner cable, you can't see the new look Lakers. DirecTV, Charter, Dish, Cox, Verizon and AT&T's U-verse are all balking at Time Warner's price tag of $3.95 per viewer, thus a big chunk of SoCal will miss Nash's flashy passes and Howard's monster jams. Even people who work for the Lakers.

"I've been a DirecTV customer for years, so I understand what everyone is going through," Lakers executive vice president for business operations Jeanie Buss told Bill Plaschke. "The providers have to decide whether they want to take our channel, and it's the customers who have to be vocal in letting their provider know they want it."

Read More...

Randy Jackson out at 'American Idol'? Twitter gets pitchy

Michael Buckner/Getty Images

Is it now time for Randy Jackson to leave American Idol too? Musician and television personality Randy Jackson at the Four Seasons Hotel on May 8, 2012 in Beverly Hills, California.

No, dog! Not Randy Jackson too!

If the buzz going around the web is true, the last original judge left on "American Idol" is leaving the popular Fox talent show.

The network told us it has no comment about the speculation; but Richard Rushfield, author of last year's tome "American Idol: The Untold Story", explained to KPCC why he thinks the rumors are true.

"[Jackson] was originally brought in to be a non-threatening balance against what executives feared would be the explosive presence of British import Simon Cowell," Rushfield, who also co-edits The Native Angeleno blog said Friday afternoon.

"Through the years, he has sat at one end of the table or the other, being unthreatening but never making much of an impact.  With 'Idol' in trouble, it seems they can no longer spare a seat for the non-threatening guy," Rushfield, who covered the show during its heyday for the Los Angeles Times, concluded.

Read More...

Shrooming comedian gets on 'The Price is Right', wins chocolate ring

Tony Pierce / KPCC

Josh Androsky at the KPCC studios in Pasadena on August 23, 2012

Josh Androsky and 19 of his pals were celebrating a friend's birthday last April in Hollywood. As part of their festivities they decided to have a modified Easter Egg Hunt and take a Cadillac limo to "The Price is Right." The plastic eggs, you see, were filled with mind-altering mushrooms.

Like in a scene out of an illicit R-rated movie, Androsky, sporting a Dolly Parton T-shirt and a black hat labelled "Big Poppa," actually made it on the show, winning a prize and spinning the famous giant wheel.

All while he was high on psilocybin shrooms. And buzzed from alcohol and marijuana. 

Androsky visited KPCC's studios on Thursday, a day when the YouTube video of his trip to the CBS game show has made its way on Reddit, Gawker, LAist and other sites around the web. It was here that the hard-hitting questions were asked.

Read More...

Keith Olbermann sues Current TV for $50 million

Olbermann

Current TV

Keith Olbermann hosted a commentary show on Current TV.

Keith Olbermann says Current TV owes him between $50 and $70 million in a breach-of-contract lawsuit filed in Los Angeles on Thursday. In addition, the cable news anchor, who was fired last week and replaced by a disgraced former governor, claims that Current also violated an agreement by disclosing how much he was being paid.

"Current's dysfunction permeated all levels of the organization," the lawsuit states, according to the Associated Press. "After being on the air for nearly eight months -- long after all `growing pains' should have ceased -- Current still couldn't manage to, literally, keep the lights on." 

Earlier this week Olbermann, who had turbulent exits from MSNBC, ESPN, and Fox, told David Leterman that although he had retained the lawyer that successfully represented Conan O'Brien in his suit against NBC, that he takes some responsibility in his failure at Current. "It's my fault that it didn't succeed, in the sense that I didn't think the whole thing through," he confided to Letterman.

Read More...