Potential 2040 L.A. Metro map, based on existing plans and proposals with some creative license, designed by Nick Andert.
Los Angeles has long been notorious for being a car-based city — good luck getting around town using public transportation. While some manage to make a go of it between rail and buses, hobbyist designer Nick Andert put together a look at what the Metro system could look like with widespread political will, though Andert admits in his posts on Reddit that it might be more likely to see this kind of system in 40 years instead of 30.
The map has received continued attention, including a post Tuesday from the Washington Post. It's different than some earlier fantasy maps as Andert has tried to pay more attention to what he thinks is genuinely possible rather than a more idealized version of area rail.
"The lines on the map are extrapolated from Metro's concrete short-term plans and somewhat more vague long-term plans, along with a little guessing and creative license," Andert writes in an email to KPCC. "It's impossible to say, of course, how accurate this will actually prove to be when 2040 rolls around."
With a looming deadline to get signed up for health insurance, officials around Los Angeles County hosted a number of enrollment events to encourage more participation in the Covered California health exchange.
Dozens lined up outside the Panorama City branch of the Los Angeles Public Library on Saturday to get help enrolling.
It was one of many libraries throughout the county that has partnered with Covered California to host enrollment workshops. Saturday was the deadline to sign up for health insurance that will take effect on March 1. Open enrollment ends on March 31 and anyone without insurance after that date could face a tax penalty.
That’s why Mayra Albarado showed up to the Panorama City branch library.
“I’ve been trying to apply since December, and it’s just difficult trying to get an agent to speak to you,” Albarado said. “It’s actually pretty difficult to talk to someone right now, too. But, I just don’t want to get charged the fees.”
This courtroom drawing shows Paul Ciancia during an appearance at the West Valley Detention Center wearing a bandage on his neck and with bruises on his face on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
Alleged LAX shooter Paul Ciancia made a brief appearance in a downtown L.A. federal court today for a status update. The 23-year-old is suspected of opening fire in an LAX lobby, killing TSA officer Gerardo Hernandez and injuring several others.
Ciancia's appointed attorney, Hilary L. Potashner, told the U.S. District judge that her client was under 100 pounds — too weak to be removed from the San Bernardino medical jail facility where he's been housed since November, City News Services reported.
Judge Philip S. Gutierrez ordered he be kept in San Bernardino, rather than the Los Angeles
federal detention center where he's expected to be held. According to the news service:
Gutierrez asked Assistant U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald when a death
penalty decision might be reached.
The prosecutor indicated it was up to Attorney General Eric Holder to
decide whether death is an appropriate penalty in the case, and no timetable
for that decision had been set.
The Federal Aviation Administration has been sued by the city of Santa Monica, which wants to close its airport in 2015.
Santa Monica's legal case to control future use of its airport land is heavy with language about quitclaim deeds and statutes of limitations. But the heart of its case against the Federal Aviation Administration is this: the city shouldn't have to run an airport forever.
The jet that crashed into a Santa Monica Airport hanger and killed four last year added urgency to the city's ongoing campaign to reduce or end flights there. City leaders have been engaging the public in talks about alternate uses for the airport for the past several years. But it was an open question whether they would be able to halt flights.
City officials had been trying to get the FAA to embrace a non-airport potential future, but in October, the city sued the agency.
Eric E Johnson/Flickr/Creative Commons
The L.A. City Council has approved a settlement for a former drug informant who says she was sexually assaulted by two LAPD officers from the Hollywood Division.
The Los Angeles City Council signed off on a $575,000 settlement Wednesday for a woman who says she was sexually assaulted by two LAPD officers.
Tammy Kim says she was a confidential drug informant for the Los Angeles Police Department as far back as 2009. Last year, she sued the department, alleging two officers from the Hollywood division forced her to have sex — and at times threatened to send her to jail.
A spokesman for the LAPD said the two officers involved in the case have been removed from duty and are awaiting disciplinary action.
The settlement comes one week after a woman in another case said she was sexually assaulted by an LAPD officer while she was handcuffed in the back of a patrol car. The 28-year-old woman in that case was injured when she fell out of the back of that moving car.