NASA/Paul E. Alers
A model of the Curiosity, NASA's most advanced mobile robotic laboratory, which will examine one of the most intriguing areas on Mars, is seen prior to a news briefing, Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011, at NASA Headquarters in Washington D.C.
In space, no one can hear you hack.
NASA issued a report this week detailing startling breaches that suggest a universe of trouble in the agency's security department.
Last year, NASA's Pasadena-based Jet Propulsion Laboratory was attacked by hackers with an IP addresses originating from China. Intruders had full control of the networks, the report revealed, accessing NASA employee credentials, and opening sensitive files with the ability to alter, copy and delete.
The report went on to disclose that NASA was the target of 47 such cyberattacks -- sophisticated, well organized, and well funded -- in 2011. But this is just the tip of the meteoroid.
In total, the space agency suffered 5,408 information security incidents "that resulted in the installation of malicious software on or unauthorized access to its systems" over the course of two years, CNN reports.
Mayors Antonio Villaraigosa, Michael Bloomberg and Rahm Emanuel with Education Secretary Arne Duncan at the "Education Now: Cities At The Forefront of Reform" summit on Friday.
Education Sec Duncan major announcement: LA and other large school districts will be allowed to compete for Race to Top $;not tied to states— kitty felde (@kpcckitty) March 2, 2012
So far, California’s been shut out of the federal education grants known as “Race to the Top.” But Education Secretary Federal Education Secretary Arne Duncan wants to open up the competition to individual school districts, soig districts like LAUSD will be in a position to compete with their own states for the money.
The announcement happened at an education forum that brought together the mayors and school superintendents of the nation’s three largest cities. Duncan said the government wants to be a good partner with local schools, and he offered districts a shot at half a billion dollars in federal grants. "The next round of 'Race to the Top' will be at district level competition."
David McNew/Getty Images
Carmageddon, meet Schlepgate. The same stretch of 405 freeway that closed in an end-of-days campaign last July will be worked on again, but this time only at night.
In total, six nights of Sepulveda Pass closures are planned for the portion of the freeway between the 101 and Getty Center Drive. Work will begin on the northbound lanes Friday night, with ramp shutdowns starting at 7 p.m. and lane closures starting at 10 p.m.
We talked to Metro spokesperson Marc Littman and asked why there seemed to be much less fanfare and public outreach about the upcoming closures.
The closures are expected to disrupt significantly fewer drivers than last summer's full freeway stoppage, Littman said, because the construction is being done one side at a time, and late at night from midnight to 5 a.m.
He called the situation "not on the same scale" as the Carmageddon stoppage though "it will be on the same scale next summer." City offices and media outlets were notified, he emphasized, pointing the public to information and detour maps on the Metro site.
Photo by Andrea D'Ippolito via Flickr Creative Commons
Already, winds have cause traffic accidents, freeway congestion and downed utility lines. Above Point Mugu an 83 mph gust was reported Friday morning at Ventura County's Laguna Peak, the National Weather Service said.
On the roads, a tractor-trailer rig was flipped onto its side blocking two lanes of the westbound I-210 freeway below the Cajon Pass, a California Department of Transportation spokeswoman said.
In Fontana, where 50 mph winds were registered, utility lines came down over the westbound I-10 freeway and were reportedly scraping the tops of trucks.
Winds are expected to lose their oomph in Los Angeles and Ventura County by Friday afternoon.
Some can't believe there's no butter at a North Hollywood school, where a lesson involving making butter and eating it on crackers has been nixed.
LAUSD has prohibited blindfolding during a lesson about the senses in a fourth-grade classroom, the L.A. Times reports. One school has also removed butter-making from its curriculum, but not to promote healthier eating habits.
The edicts come after Mark Berndt's January arrest. Berndt pleaded not guilty to 23 charges of lewd acts with children, which include blindfolding and spoon-feeding his semen to students. Since then, a number of cases involving other LAUSD staffers have surfaced, including another at Miramonte.
Deputy Superintendent of Instruction Jaime Aquino cautioned that blindfolding "may be perceived negatively" in a Feb. 23 memo to principals, according to the Times.
Meanwhile, students at a North Hollywood school will no longer make butter with substitute teacher Prentiss Moore. One parent there drew a similarity between kids eating the finished butter on crackers with Berndt's alleged reputation of serving students tainted cookies, the paper continued.