Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
House Armed Services Committee ranking member Rep. Buck McKeon (center) before a hearing in 2009.
Two veteran House Republicans from California — Reps. Buck McKeon and Elton Gallegly — were among four congressmen who got mortgages from the now-defunct Countrywide Financial under a VIP program, the Wall Street Journal first reported on Saturday.
The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has been investigating whether some members of Congress got discounts from Countrywide under its VIP program. The AP has reported that that four House members had received the VIP loans, and one of the four remains unidentified. The three identified congressmen, including Rep. Edolphus Towns, a Democrat from New York, told the Journal they were unaware their mortgages were sent to a special VIP unit of Countrywide or that they might be receiving special discounts.
A 1998 loan to McKeon, who is chairman of the Armed Services Committee, was for $315,000. Gallegly's 2005 loan was for $77,000.
This photo provided by the Anaheim Police Department shows Itzcoatl Ocampo. Investigators are "extremely confident" that Ocampo is responsible for all four recent killings of homeless men in Orange County.
Who is the man suspected in the serial killings of four Orange County homeless men during the last three weeks?
He is an Iraq war veteran who was a 2006 graduate of Esparanza High School. Twenty-three-year-old Itzcoatl Ocampo, who lived in Yorba Linda, was chased away from a Friday night attack behind an Anaheim Carl's Jr. and, with help from more than two dozen witnesses, caught about a quarter-mile away in next-door Yorba Linda.
Police arrested him for suspicion of murder, and on Saturday announced they believed they had found the serial killer who had been targeting homeless men in the county, successfully stabbing four of them to death, including the last on Friday night.
"We are extremely confident that we have the man who is responsible for all four murders of homeless men in Orange County," Anaheim police Chief John Welter said Saturday.
The L.A. Times reports today on a teacher who was forced to leave her classroom after apparently behaving like a drunk person:
The Times reports that Riverside County prosecutors are deciding whether to file criminal child endangerment charges against an elementary school teacher who was reportedly drunk in the classroom.
The sheriff's deputies were called to Susan La Vorgna Elementary School Thursday.
According to authorities, school officials became suspicious over a hall pass the teacher wrote out that day. The teacher was removed from her third-grade classroom on suspicion of being intoxicated.
The teacher's name was not released. The newspaper says she was released to a family member.
Placentia police chief Rick Hicks speaks at the podium before several police chiefs and an FBI special agent for a news conference to announce the arrest of Itzcoatl Ocampo as the serial killer of four homeless men, the latest Friday night, where Ocampo was caught in Anaheim, Calif., Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012.
Police say a homeless man was found stabbed to death behind a fast-food restaurant in Anaheim and police have detained a man they believe is responsible for the killing — and the killings of several other homeless men during the last few weeks.
Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, of Yorba Linda, was arrested in connection with the slaying of a man behind a Carls Jr. in Anaheim on Saturday. He was held without bail for suspicion of murder, Santa Ana police said.
Anaheim Deputy Chief Craig Hunter said Ocampo fits the description of a man wanted for three stabbing deaths — in Anaheim, Placentia and Yorba Linda — that began Dec. 20. And the Orange County Register is reporting that police believe the suspect "is connected to the recent slayings of three other homeless men" in the county.
The attack behind a Carl's Jr. on East La Palma Ave. was in progress when an emergency operator got a call at 8:17 p.m. Friday, according to Anaheim police. Friday night's victim was known to locals as "John." He was believed to be a Vietnam War veteran in his mid-60s. It was unclear where his last address was. Several people told television station he was a nice guy, not an aggressive beggar.
Jacqueline Gelfand, the ex-head of a Los Angeles nonprofit organization, has admitted to stealing over $100K.
The 61-year-old former executive director of InsideOUT, an organization that teaches writing programs to youth within the juvenile hall system, entered a plea on Friday to three felony counts — one of grand theft and two of commercial burglary.
Under a plea deal, Gelfand is expected to get a year in jail, three years of probation and 200 hours of community service when
Gelfand is set for sentencing on Feb. 9. Under the plea deal she is expected to get one year in jail, three years of probation and 200 hours of community service. She also must pay more than $86,000 in restitution.
In 2008 and 2009 Gelfand unlawfully took money and personal property from InsideOUT Writers, Inc., the criminal complaint alleges.