Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Tuesday, Nov. 20, and here is what's happening in Los Angeles:
A dozen Asian-American politicians will be in Congress starting Jan. 3, which will create the largest caucus of Asian American and Pacific Islander members in any single congressional session, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Congressman-elect Tony Cardenas hands out turkeys and talks about his transition to Washington, D.C. with KPCC. "I will be trying my best to make sure that various departments get grants to my community," he says of his work in D.C.
Politico talks to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa about joining the Obama Administration. "I'm not thinking about any of these other opportunities. The best way for me has always been focus on your job. Don’t look so far down the line that you trip on yourself," he tells the site.
The NFL could use the Rose Bowl as a temporary venue if a team moves to Los Angeles, according to KPCC. Such a plan could net Pasadena as much as $10 million a year.
The California Supreme Court has directed Los Angeles County to repay 47 cities that were improperly charged fees, reports the Daily News. Those cities can expect to receive $5 million a year.
A Los Angeles Times editorial urges the city of Los Angeles to turnover management of the Los Angeles Convention Center. "Wherever possible, Los Angeles needs to concentrate on the work that is part of its core mission — policing, firefighting and transportation — and partner with private operators to take on other jobs," according to the newspaper.
The Los Angeles Times hosts all of its Los Angeles Fire Department coverage in one convenient spot.
The LA Weekly has details on District Attorney-elect Jackie Lacey's administration appointments.
Where to Find the Politicians
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will distribute turkeys at Jackson Limousine at 10 a.m. At 5:30 p.m., he will speak at the Universal Studios CityWalk tree lighting ceremony.
9 a.m. Board of Fire Commissioners, City Hall East, room 1820
- Recommendation to approve the fire alarm registration fee
- Update from the Task Force on Information and Data Analysis
10 a.m. Los Angeles City Council, City Hall, Council Chamber
- Recommendation to place half-cent sales tax on March ballot
- Report on a new operating model for the Convention Center
- Report on removal of 1,140 parking meters
- Recommendation to renew reward for arrest of Teardrop Rapist
1 p.m. Education and Neighborhoods Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Report on 2012 neighborhood council elections
- Report on who can vote in a neighborhood council election
1:30 p.m. Board of Water and Power Commissioners, DWP Headquarters, room 1555-H
- Report on supporting the U.S. Department of Energy Team USC’s Solar Decathlon Project 2013
2:30 p.m. Planning and Land Use Management Committee, City Hall, room 350
- Report on building six-foot tall fences in East Hollywood
- Report on regulating murals
- Report on bicycle parking
3 p.m. Personnel Committee, City Hall, room 1050
- Report on the use of exotic and wild animals in performances by traveling shows
Tweet of the Day goes to a United States Senator defending his bad taste in music.
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.