Wendy Greuel Campaign
The union that represents DWP workers is partnering with the entertainment industry to support Wendy Greuel in the mayor's race. Two former consultants for Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa will run the independent expenditure.
Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Tuesday, Jan. 15, and here is what's happening in Los Angeles:
Entertainment executives are partnering with IBEW Local 18, the union that represents workers with the Department of Water and Power, to support Wendy Greuel for mayor, according to the Los Angeles Times. Working Californians hired Ace Smith and Sean Clegg to run the independent expenditure campaign.
Is Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa in Washington, DC to interview for a cabinet position? KPCC looks at the possible roles for the outgoing mayor.
While starting work on a housing complex for homeless individuals with mental health issues, Councilman Richard Alarcon revealed that his adult son suffers from schizophrenia and lives on the street, reports the Daily News. "He is lost in mental illness and we don't know if he is taking his meds," he said at the groundbreaking in Sunland-Tujunga.
Which Way, LA? looks at housing in Los Angeles and what the mayoral candidates may be able to do to impact home prices.
Supervisor Don Knabe is providing free transportation to anyone who wants to get to the Hall of Administration to protest a storm runoff tax, reports the Whittier Daily News. Knabe has called the tax a "sneak attack."
Where to Find the Politicians
At 2 p.m., Councilman Jose Huizar will join police Chief Charlie Beck to close Parker Center.
9 a.m. Board of Fire Commissioners, City Hall East, room 1820
- Closed session discussion on ongoing litigation
9 a.m. Arts, Parks, Health and Aging Committee, City Hall, room 1060
- Report on providing city discounts to military veterans and active duty military personnel
9:30 a.m. Board of Police Commissioners, LAPD Headquarters, board room
- Closed session discussion on officer-involved shootings
9:30 a.m. Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, Hall of Administration, board room
- Report on the proposed Clean Water, Clean Beaches tax
10 a.m. Los Angeles City Council, City Hall, Council Chamber
- Vote on $3 billion bond for street repairs
- Creation of an Ad Hoc Committee on Business Tax Reform
1 p.m. Education and Neighborhoods Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Recommendation to appoint a permanent general manager for DONE
- Recommendation to standardize the Factual Basis Stakeholder definition
2:30 p.m. Planning and Land Use Management Committee, City Hall, room 350
- Recommendation to preserve old murals and set regulations for new murals
3 p.m. Personnel and Animal Welfare Committee, City Hall, room 1050
- Report on training city employees to identify fraud and waste
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.