Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
The campaign of Wendy Greuel released a plan Monday that could save the city $175 million.
Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, public meetings and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Tuesday, April 16, and here is what's happening in Los Angeles:
Mayoral candidate Wendy Greuel proposed $175 million in savings Monday through parking lot collections and changes to employees' health care benefits, reports KPCC. "The proposal was unveiled after months of complaints from civic leaders that Greuel, the city controller, and her opponent, Councilman Eric Garcetti, have offered too few ideas for closing the budget shortfall," according to the Los Angeles Times.
The Board of Education will consider a proposal today to speed up the investigations of teachers in "teacher jail," according to the Los Angeles Times. "Everyone agreed the process wasn't working," said Tamar Galatzan.
Fire Chief Brian Cummings wants to add 11 ambulances to the busiest parts of the city, reports the Daily News. The plan is opposed by the firefighters' union, United Firefighters of Los Angeles City. "What the chief is proposing is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. We support adding more ambulances, but we need to do it with additional staffing," said UFLAC President Frank Lima.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is in Sacramento today.
Thousands of SEIU members will rally outside the Hall of Administration at 9 a.m.
9 a.m. Information Technology and General Services Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Report on lease agreement for Boys and Girls Club of San Fernando Valley
9:30 a.m. Board of Police Commissioners, LAPD Headquarters, board room
- Report on contract between LAPD and airport police
10 a.m. Los Angeles City Council, City Hall, Council Chamber
- Report on Affordable Housing Trust Fund
- Report on bicycle infrastructure zones
10:30 a.m. Board of Fire Commissioners, City Hall East, room 1820
- Report on LAFD medical director
12:30 p.m. Board of Airport Commissioners, LAX Administration Building, board room
- Contract for the Central Terminal Area project
- Contract for architecture plans at LAX
1 p.m. Education and Neighborhoods Committee, City Hall, room 1010
- Neighborhood councils' report on city budget
- Report on definition of "factual basis stakeholder"
1:30 p.m. Board of Water and Power Commissioners, DWP Headquarters, room 1555-H
- Closed session report on ongoing litigation
2:30 p.m. Planning and Land Use Management Committee, City Hall, room 350
- Report on "Clean Up, Green Up" in Boyle Heights, Wilmington and Pacoima
3 p.m. Personnel and Animal Welfare Committee, City Hall, room 1050
- Report on positions within the Office of Public Accountability
6 p.m. Public Works Committee, Van Nuys City Hall, Council Chamber
- Report on bond proposal to repave city streets
To have an event or announcement listed, please email the Maven here.