Voters in the city's Sixth District will vote for a new councilwoman today.
Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, votes and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Tuesday, July 23, and here is what's happening in Southern California politics:
It's Election Day in Los Angeles' Sixth District. "Turnout could be low because the unusual, stand-alone city contest comes just two months after city voters chose a new mayor, city attorney, controller and six new council members, and eight months after voters reelected the president," per the Los Angeles Times.
Over at Los Angeles Magazine, Raphael Sonenshein puts together a to do list for Mayor Eric Garcetti.
Archbishop Jose Gomez talked to Which Way, LA? about immigration reform.
Vernon's former city manager is suing the city after CalPERS cut his $500,000 annual pension, according to the Los Angeles Times. Bruce Malkenhorst wants the tiny city to make up the difference now that his pension has been cut to $115,000. Malkenhorst was previously convicted of misappropriating funds.
The city of Cudahy, which has already seen some of its elected officials prosecuted by the federal government, is facing more upheaval, reports the Los Angeles Times. "A longtime councilman has stepped down and a second may not return after having a stroke, according to city officials and sources," per The Times.
- LA County Board of Supervisors: Report from Citizens’ Commission on Jail Violence (9:30 a.m.)
- Orange County Board of Supervisors: Approve parking agreement for John Wayne Airport (9:30 a.m.)
- LA City Council: Recommendation to approve funding for Saturday Night Lights (10 a.m.)
- Anaheim City Council: Authorize funds for water utility capital projects (5 p.m.)
- Long Beach City Council: Report on taxi cabs (5 p.m.)
- LA City Council: Vote on Millennium Hollywood project (10 a.m.)
Questions or comments on Maven's Morning Coffee can be sent here.