A judge has ruled that LAPD's relaxed policy on vehicle impounds conflicts with state law.
Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, votes and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Tuesday, Aug. 13, and here is what's happening in Southern California politics:
The Los Angeles Police Department's relaxed vehicle impound policy was struck down by a judge Monday, reports KPCC. The policy that allowed unlicensed drivers to avoid a 30-day impound was found to conflict with state law.
Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar is denying sexual harassment allegations made by his former deputy chief of staff. Francine Godoy filed her complaint with the state's Department of Fair Employment and Housing. Council President Herb Wesson has authorized the Personnel Department to form an independent committee to look into the accusations. Los Angeles Times, KPCC.
Per the Planning Report, Mayor Eric Garcetti has appointed the city's first director of International Trade.
Moreno Valley Councilman Marcelo Co was arrested on eight felonies including fraud and grand theft, according to the Press-Enterprise. The arrest came the same day the city clerk said a recall effort against Co could move forward.
Mayor Eric Garcetti will announce five new LA's BEST sites at Oxnard Street Elementary School at 2:45 p.m.
- LA County Board of Supervisors: Request for report on the Drug Medi-Cal Program, update on the Department of Children and Family Services (9:30 a.m.)
- Orange County Board of Supervisors: Approve response to grand jury report on juvenile detention facilities (9:30 a.m.)
- LA City Council: Update on parkway vegetable gardens (10 a.m.)
- Long Beach City Council: Recommendation to settle case involving Southern California International Gateway; recommendation to cap the number of entertainment permits (5 p.m.)
- Anaheim City Council: Update to zoning code (5 p.m.)
- LA City Council: Vote on Jordan Downs Urban Village Specific Plan (10 a.m.)
Questions or comments on Maven's Morning Coffee can be sent here.