Good morning, readers. Welcome to the Maven's Morning Coffee -- a listing of the important headlines, news conferences, votes and announcements you need to know to fuel up and tackle your day.
The Maven's Morning Coffee is also available as a daily email. Click here to subscribe.
Today is Monday, Sept. 16, and here is what's happening in Southern California politics:
In Rick Orlov's Tipoff column, politics is a family affair for Councilman Paul Koretz, Mayor Eric Garcetti meets Tom Cruise, and Councilman Mike Bonin learns people like to give money to politicians in power.
Mayor Eric Garcetti and labor leader Maria Elena Durazo met for lunch, per the LA Weekly.
The LA Weekly reports Los Angeles' taxi administrator has been barred from speaking to the media about his concerns over ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft. "The taxi industry is regulated in part to ensure that the city's poor and disabled residents get service. If taxi companies were not required to serve South and East L.A., they would not. (Administrator Tom) Drischler argued that the entry of unregulated competitors undermines that regulatory framework by skimming the most profitable segment of the business," according to the newspaper.
The city of Newport Beach is considering a plan to privatize trash pickup, reports the Los Angeles Times. The move comes after a consultant found the city could save $17 million over the next seven years by doing so.
First Lady Michelle Obama will attend a fundraiser in Los Angeles next month, according to LAObserved. This event is in place of the September event President Obama cancelled so he could stay in Washington, D.C. to work on the crisis in Syria.
- West Hollywood City Council: Support of Transgender Remembrance Day (6:30 p.m.)
- LA County Board of Supervisors: Recommendation to oppose city-based Public Health Department (9:30 a.m.)
- Orange County Board of Supervisors: Report on issuance of school bonds (9:30 a.m.)
- LA City Council: Commission appointments, report on hit-and-run crimes (10 a.m.)
- Long Beach City Council: Resolution opposing Russia's treatment of the LGBT community (5 p.m.)
- LA City Council: Recess (10 a.m.)
Questions or comments on Maven's Morning Coffee can be sent here.