OnCentral | Reporting on health and quality of life in South LA

1 in 8 Americans has type 2 diabetes and the arrival of coronavirus: In health news today

Insulin. A new poll indicates that one in eight Americans has type 2 diabetes, and that only 21 percent consider themselves well-versed on the disease. (Heather Aitken/Flickr Creative Commons)
Insulin. A new poll indicates that one in eight Americans has type 2 diabetes, and that only 21 percent consider themselves well-versed on the disease. (Heather Aitken/Flickr Creative Commons)
Heather Aitken/Flickr Creative Commons

One in eight Americans has type 2 diabetes, according to a new poll – and more than one in three has a family member who's been diagnosed with the disease or has been diagnosed themselves. That's according to HealthDay, which also noted that only 21 percent of those polled reported knowing much about the disease, meaning that folks among the remaining 79 percent may have diabetes but not know it.

The National Center for Health Statistics reported Tuesday that more than 38,300 people died of drug overdoses in 2010, which marked an increase from the previous year. The Los Angeles Times says that's the 11th consecutive year during which the number of fatal overdoses has increased, and that in 2010, the majority of overdoses involved prescription drugs like Oxycontin and Percocet.

Know anybody who seems to have a cold every few weeks or so? U.S. News & World Report says a new study indicates chromosomes could partly explain why some people seem to be immune to the common cold while others seem particularly vulnerable. Researchers found that when otherwise healthy young adults had immune systems in which the cells had relatively short telomeres, they were more prone to catching a cold.

Speaking of which: People who are currently fighting a cold or getting over one should tone down their workouts or skip them altogether. HealthDay says the same goes for people recovering from the flu: Easy does it during that immediate post-sickness phase.

The Obama Administration announced Tuesday that it will operate 26 of 50 state health insurance marketplaces, which are mandated under the Affordable Care Act. Reuters reports that states had the option of choosing to run their own or letting the federal government do it on the state's behalf. Twenty-four states chose the former, and federal health officials noted that states in which the feds are operating the marketplace can still apply to make the insurance exchanges state-run down the road.

People who never completed high school are more likely to drink alcohol, use tobacco and partake in illegal drugs, according to a new government report, strengthening the link between poor academic performance and substance abuse. HealthDay says high school seniors who dropped out were twice as likely to smoke, and that 31 percent of people who dropped out used drugs, compared to 18 percent of their counterparts who got their diplomas.

Patients with multiple conditions are more likely to make an unexpected visit to the hospital, according to new research appearing in the Canadian Medical Association Journal – and mental health issues and economic hardship make that even more likely.

If the caffeine hasn't already made your ears perk up, this might: A new study of nearly 500,000 older adults appearing in the Journal of Caffeine Research suggested that as coffee-drinking increased, the risk of death decreased. Bottoms up.

And finally: A new SARS-like virus has killed its sixth victim, U.K. health officials reported on Tuesday. NPR reports that it's the 12th known case of a new kind of coronavirus, which first appeared in 2012 in the Middle East and killed five people in Jordan and Saudi Arabia. It's the first reported death from the virus in the U.K.

Photo by Heather Aitken via Flickr Creative Commons.