California police say they are receiving calls from the public after releasing more than 100 photos apparently taken by convicted serial killer Rodney Alcala in the 1970s, but tip gathering has been hampered by phone problems at police headquarters.
Huntington Beach police Detective Sgt. Aaron Smith said Thursday a few people called to identify themselves in the photos, but so far no one has said that someone in the photos went missing.
Smith says a phone line was accidentally cut during construction outside the station Thursday. Emergency and 911 phone lines are still working.
Prosecutors say Alcala used his camera to gain the trust of young women and now they fear photographs he snapped decades ago could contain images of more potential victims.